Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

241 - 260 of 391 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Tested it out last night to compare them to my J.W Speakers. These are not brighter, I guess because the J.W Speakers have clear lens. However, the back up leds on these are super bright, they are way way brighter than the J.W Speakers.
Do you have the smoked version?

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
Just in case you are a contestant on Jeopardy, you should know that this is not true in NYS. Its one of those old and forgotten laws that is rarely enforced today, except when the police don't get the big pay raise they think they deserve.

In NYS, amber lights are illegal on the front (pls don't shoot the messenger). That's because this law claims that amber is too similar to red. So, in NYS, its steady white lights that means you are looking at the approaching end of the vehicle. And steady red/amber lights that means you are looking at the retreating end of the vehicle.

:hide:
FMVSS108 is Federal and mandatory in all states ---- supersedes whatever a statie might throw at you.
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?node=se49.6.571_1108

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #244
Problem.

I haven't taken a spectrum analyzer to them yet so I'm not sure how bad it is or whether it renders them non-compliant yet.

RF and EM interference are big issues with vehicles these days. There are frequencies set aside for everything from air traffic to marine traffic to lane change detection to EMS/LEO to back up radar to remote start....
You get the picture.
So there are caps on what you can generate. Same with electromagnetic interference.
That's why Awitar was born:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=DZ3kOZ5X-tk

I was stopped in traffic waiting for road construction the other day and listening to my county Sheriff radio traffic on the 2M radio. And the transmission was 10-1 with static.
Hmmmm. I wasn't far from the EOC repeater and should have a great signal ----- I thought it was due to RF from the construction team.
Then I took my foot off the brake and the static went away. Brake on, static; brake off, none. Interesting but not good.
This is in the 150 + MHz range, dedicated to EMS/LEO.

I have to find out the legal limits on spurious RF in this range and what else is coming out of the lights. I'll use one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGOIiJmYTY

·
Registered
10,280 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
From this:

In NYS, amber lights are illegal on the front (pls don't shoot the messenger). That's because this law claims that amber is too similar to red. So, in NYS, its steady white lights that means you are looking at the approaching end of the vehicle. And steady red/amber lights that means you are looking at the retreating end of the vehicle.

:hide:
That seems strange to me due to the fact that there are lots of cars that use their turn signals as DRL and they are amber. How do they police that?

·
Registered
26 Posts
smoked?

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
That seems strange to me due to the fact that there are lots of cars that use their turn signals as DRL and they are amber. How do they police that?
Again, they police it only when they are in a labor dispute (Taylor Law). They can't legally go on strike, so they harass the general public with "full strict enforcement" on a number of issues. This is just one.

Sometime they go the other extreme, and start writing no tickets, and therefore, cutting off the fine income many places rely on.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Again, they police it only when they are in a labor dispute (Taylor Law). They can't legally go on strike, so they harass the general public with "full strict enforcement" on a number of issues. This is just one.

Sometime they go the other extreme, and start writing no tickets, and therefore, cutting off the fine income many places rely on.
If they ever do that to you, PM me and I'll give you contact info for an expert witness.
That's BS.

Now, amber headlights or even yellow, that's another story. There is a model year range that can run selective yellow headlights (UN agreement because it was law in France/Belgium for quite some time) but that doesn't apply to a JK or most cars on the road.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
Here are my red one on a white JK. I used J.B Weld clearweld, it says clearest on the package, but it's not. When I mixed it, it came out creamy look so I put on the light and thought it would be clear when it dried, but not. And this thing smelled so terrible. I ended up bought the Permatex clear epoxy, it's much better and it's crystal clear. It doesn't have that strong smell like the J.B, I mixed it with three drops of red food coloring to cover up the creamy (white).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Problem.

I haven't taken a spectrum analyzer to them yet so I'm not sure how bad it is or whether it renders them non-compliant yet.

RF and EM interference are big issues with vehicles these days. There are frequencies set aside for everything from air traffic to marine traffic to lane change detection to EMS/LEO to back up radar to remote start....
You get the picture.
So there are caps on what you can generate. Same with electromagnetic interference.
That's why Awitar was born:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=23&v=DZ3kOZ5X-tk

I was stopped in traffic waiting for road construction the other day and listening to my county Sheriff radio traffic on the 2M radio. And the transmission was 10-1 with static.
Hmmmm. I wasn't far from the EOC repeater and should have a great signal ----- I thought it was due to RF from the construction team.
Then I took my foot off the brake and the static went away. Brake on, static; brake off, none. Interesting but not good.
This is in the 150 + MHz range, dedicated to EMS/LEO.

I have to find out the legal limits on spurious RF in this range and what else is coming out of the lights. I'll use one of these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGOIiJmYTY
~Very~ interesting.

Thanks for this.

I'll be watching.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #252
~Very~ interesting.

Thanks for this.

I'll be watching.
I was wondering if anyone else would give a crap....

With impending doom on the horizon (autonomous vehicles), 5G just around the corner, this will be getting more tightly regulated.

·
Premium Member
8,407 Posts

With impending doom on the horizon (autonomous vehicles), 5G just around the corner, this will be getting more tightly regulated.
Simple enough though to add a filter.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
So, I should not turn my signals on, if I am in a dynamite construction zone? :happyyes:

Reactions: Lusus_Naturae

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I wish you guys would get back on topic and stay there.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #257
Simple enough though to add a filter.
Ferrite choke might do it. But you have to know which end the noise is coming from.
As far as what it does/might interfere with, the OEs use mitigating technologies to filter out spurious signals ---- to an extent.
That's why I have to measure it. If it's doing something in besides 150 MHz, like in the 77 GHz range, that makes it more serious.

I wish you guys would get back on topic and stay there.
Well, we are....
I don't just unbox something, call it pretty, and then endorse it. I test it. I did this to the JW Speaker and Trucklite products too but there was nothing to report.

I'm hoping that there's an easy fix. I still think they're neat lights. I just won't run them after I pull my numbers until they're safe to run.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
Well, we are....
I don't just unbox something, call it pretty, and then endorse it. I test it. I did this to the JW Speaker and Trucklite products too but there was nothing to report.

I'm hoping that there's an easy fix. I still think they're neat lights. I just won't run them after I pull my numbers until they're safe to run.[/QUOTE]

what do front lights have to do with the topic?

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
They are discussing these tail lights. He states:
"Then I took my foot off the brake and the static went away. Brake on, static; brake off, none. Interesting but not good."

Not sure how much more "on topic" that could be personally. Yes, the static is in reference to his 2M radio, but the issue he is having is still being caused by the tails.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Discussion Starter #260
We've only been discussing the tail lights.
I mentioned other lights from JWS and TL, head lights and tail lights, as a point of reference.

Besides. It's my thread...

241 - 260 of 391 Posts