Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay guys, my starter went so no jeep :banghead: but i will be buying a new one very soon, any ideas on what one to buy (with a budget in mind)

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
If they didn't all float away by you, there is nothing wrong with having the original re-built. It was a good starter to begin with.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
JimsJeep said:
If they didn't all float away by you, there is nothing wrong with having the original re-built. It was a good starter to begin with.
Okay thanks

·
Knows a couple things...
49,126 Posts
Yep, either have that one rebuilt by a competent automotive starter/alternator shop, or buy another OE starter. The aftermarket stuff sold by the chain stores is often little better than Chinese junk. While I might trust non-OE stuff for my Toyota that sees nothing but the street, my TJ gets way out in the boondocks where the auto club doesn't go so I make sure it only gets the good OE quality stuff.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yup had mine rebuilt for like $50, from a local shop. Came back looking like new and has worked like a dream ever since.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, it had a POS Japanese one on it... This explains it so I'm going to auto zone to pick one up for 150

·
Knows a couple things...
49,126 Posts
Odds are very good Autozone's will be even worse quality junk from China. I'd go OE for a critical part like that.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Mitsubishi makes the OEM starter. So, that is probably the starter that came on your Jeep.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay great advice, where should I buy an oem one from? I'm looking for something new if possible

·
Registered
73 Posts
I just replaced mine, the original 98 model Mitsubishi finally gave up, well the bearing did. Local shop wanted about $90 to rebuild, so after some looking the local oreillys part store had a reman unit, with a rewound Mitsubishi motor for $60 with lifetime warranty. I don't expect it to last 14 years, but will have to work. If mine wasn't a 5 speed that can be push/pull started, I would have went with Jerry's advice an paid the price for an OE unit.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,126 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I went with a new Remy starter for my 92. No problems so far. It was rated at 1.7 kW, IIRC. Some are rated less.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts