Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

The Jeep is new to me- it is a 2002 TJ 5psd 4.0L. I bought it about 8 months ago. When I drove it home from the seller's house the throwout bearing went bad. I put in a new LUK clutch, LUK flywheel, pilot bearing, fork, pin, and a National 614093 Clutch Release Bearing.

I have only drove about 1000mi and the bearing is dead again, making a terrible noise.

I don't know when it started, but I do know when I press the clutch in, I could hear a whirring noise (before the bearing totally died).

Also. I went to a trail in Uwharrie - it is a mountain like trail near me - rough terrain, and it requires me to ride the clutch in 1st gear to get up and over certain obstacles, such as rocks and steep climbs. I also drove through mud water up to the bumpers on several occasions. I guess I will know more once it is opened back up but I have a feeling that maybe water got in, or, maybe riding the clutch on rough terrain heated the bearing up causing it to fail. I did wheel it a good 3-4 hours. I expected I'd need to fix something after such a trail ride but I didn't expect the throwout bearing to die again. But, I know very little about it - I can replace parts with the help of a friend but I am not a mechanic.

What is the best throwout bearing I can get? Would you get another 614903? Are there any other things I should be on the lookout for when replacing it again? Should driving it hard through the mountains cause it to fail so quickly?

I do drive it on the road, but I do take it on camping trips / trail riding, and if you couldn't tell, I am a bit new to the Wranglers. :)

If it helps - I have stock gears and a stock front/rearend, lift & 33s..

Thanks for any insight!
Len

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
You can't go wrong with Mopar parts, to be honest, I have never had one go bad before the clutch disc wore out. Hopefully, you just got a bad one, sucks to have to do a tear down to replace it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welp, I'm an idiot! And I'm happy about it! I thought it would be important to follow up here:

Tonight I was thinking about how the key gets stuck in the 'starter' position sometimes (hasn't happened in months). I went out to the Jeep and it ran perfectly fine. I then held the key in the 'start' position and pressed the clutch in and I could hear the awful sound of the starter grinding on my new flywheel!

So... It appears my "sticky" ignition switch is the only problem.

Woohoo! I don't have to tear this thing apart again!

I am wondering if I ever needed to the first time.......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts