Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s new tire time for me as I currently have 72K on the stock KM’s and am trying to decide what tires (and size) I should go with.

I have a 2016 JKUHR with the Rancho 2” Spring lift. I have the manual transmission and 4.10 gears. As you can tell I drive (over 20K per year) a lot with two kids playing sports all over the place year round. We don’t see a ton of snow here, but do see a lot of rain. 95% of my driving is on road, and my off road is usually forest service roads where most any A/T tire has sufficient traction, but of course the more aggressive tires look better.

I’m trying to debate between two tire sizes – 255/80R17 (33x10) and 285/75R17 (34x11.5). I’ve gone back and forth between the two sizes over the past year, but it’s time for me to finally make the decision. Right now I am leaning toward the 255/80R17 Ridge Grapplers but am also looking at the Ridge Grapplers in 285/75R17 C rated. The positives of the larger size would be a more aggressive look, and a C load rating rather than an E rating. The downsides seem to be initial cost, having 1.25” wheel spacers required, decreased fuel economy, and increased wear and tear on components. Tell me I’m making the right decision.

I’ve also looked at the KM2’s in 255/80R17 and the KO2’s in 285/75R17.

Please help me pick a tire.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I recently struggled with same decision.

It was the co$t and weight that led me to the 255/80 over the 285/75.
Of course the weight adds a lot of concerns including the un-sprung weight, gas mileage, spare mount (hinges) and lifting the to change tires (keep it simple).

I have a Rancho 2" sport lift and stock wheels and these 33s fit well.

20190917_130515_resized.jpg

20190917_130527_resized.jpg

·
Super Moderator
6,793 Posts
With your gearing, and that the Ridge Grapplers don't run small like the BFG KO2s and KM2s do, I would lean towards the 255/80's.
I like the bigger tires, but the trade off with acceleration and braking can be a steep and slippery slope.
I do like the BFG KO2s, but they do run small, and if you go with them instead you might want the larger size.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, I just lined up a set of 5 Ridge Grapplers in 255/80R17. I'll go the week of the 11th to get them installed!

I've never had Nitto (or their parent company Toyo) Tires before, but I hear good things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts