Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought some Goodyear Silent Armor 255/75/17 tires for my 2010 4 door Sport S. I figured an alignment was a good idea to preserve the new rubber. The alignment tech couldn't get the right side toe adjuster thing to move so they sent me home. Sears said the day shift guy was more experienced and would try tomorrow.

I didn't even make it out of the parking lot. The steering wheel was cocked left to go strait and the esc kicked in while was driving in a straight line on dry pavement at 20mph. I left it there and got a ride home. Let's hope the day shift does better.

The jeep drove straight with no hands on the old SRA's. The new tires are the same size as stock. What could go so wrong with tires and alignment that ESC thinks I'm in trouble?

Dave

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
1. Never let Sears doing anything to your jeep.
2. Your jeep does not need an alignment after changing tires. You did not change the diameter of the tire nor should anything in your steering or suspension have been touched. Take off tires put on new ones is all that is required here.

The tech more than likely tinkered with your suspension off setting your steering wheel by his inexperience. You can straighten your steering wheel by simply adjusting the turnbuckle on the draglink. You can do this in your drive way with no mechanical knowledge and one wrench. If your steering wheel is not centered, the ESC program will engage.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought an alignment was a good idea with new tires because if it were off, my tires would wear faster and unevenly. Am I to assume that if the car goes straight, the alignment is good?

·
Registered
26,921 Posts
1. Never let Sears doing anything to your jeep.
2. Your jeep does not need an alignment after changing tires. You did not change the diameter of the tire nor should anything in your steering or suspension have been touched. Take off tires put on new ones is all that is required here.

The tech more than likely tinkered with your suspension off setting your steering wheel by his inexperience. You can straighten your steering wheel by simply adjusting the turnbuckle on the draglink. You can do this in your drive way with no mechanical knowledge and one wrench. If your steering wheel is not centered, the ESC program will engage.
Yeah, I suspect the wannabe alignment tech was jacking with the adjuster on the draglink (wrong) instead of the adjuster on the tie rod.

I thought an alignment was a good idea with new tires because if it were off, my tires would wear faster and unevenly. Am I to assume that if the car goes straight, the alignment is good?
False assumption. The steering wheel could be centered and the Jeep drive straight yet the alignment could be off IF you had worn suspension or steering parts.

But......if you weren't experiencing alignment related wear issues with your old tires, getting an alignment isn't necessary when swapping to new ones.

·
Super Moderator
53,784 Posts
They are correct. A little less toe might be necessary with a bigger tire. But I'm talking 35's plus.

Wasn't a bad idea but he screwed with it.

You can adjust the steering easily by yourself but who knows if he screwed with the tie rod.

I had a similar experience ways back. I caught the guy wrenching on the adjuster sleeve of my track bar (not stock)
I asked what he was doing and he stopped. He could not loosen the frozen tie rod sleeve and somehow was going to get my alignment in by f**kin with my axle :eek:

I grabbed my caster numbers and left FREE.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Sears day shift fixed this quickly. The reason I chose them and a good year tire was because I travel a lot. Sears is a national chain with a local outlet and the price was competive. I may have saved a couple dollars online, but then I'd have to deal with mounting and balancing. A less popular tire would be harder to replace on the road.

So far I like the Silent Armor on the street. We will see how it does on the trail.

-Dave

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
It doesn't hurt to have an alignment done by a shop that knows what they're doing. I like getting it done when I replace tires. Why would you even think about going to Sears or the equivalent to have work done. O'k, a national chain. Then you get national chain quality work which for the most part sucks. But, your decision. Today they screw up the alignment; tomorrow they over torque lug nuts, strip oil plugs, over tighten filters and the list goes on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts