Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys,

As I had mentioned in another thread, and now figure might as well make a thread, I might have suspension issues. Here is a summary

1998 Tj 2.5 automatic. Had 30" tires on 15" rims. pretty certain all stock

Tires were balding and brakes were bad so, changed the brake pads and liners and got good deal on a set of 15" rims with 33 " Nitto tires.

When driving and slightly turning, the tires touch.

Put the 33" tires because a good deal and could save money however I do not know what is the best affordable way to adjust suspension.

From the little read, I was that a 2" suspension and a 1.5 body lift might the best route. However when looking at the 2 inch suspension, I saw that it not recommended for 33 inch tires.

The problem is that I also need to get to work and the jeep is my main transportation. I saw some kits on quadratec and then was comparing prices on ebay.. Thanks for your help guys

·
Registered
6,886 Posts
The "recommendations" for required lift are for articulation/off road.

Now when you are mentioning "touch", touch what? Fender flares, frame etc. 33" on a sock height Jeep is not going to leave much room anywhere, even just on the street. A 2" BB may allow you to run on the street.

·
Registered
3,108 Posts
A 2" budget boost, with new shocks, and bump stop extensions all the way around + a 1- 1.25" body lift will clear 33's just fine. The problem you will have to address is the factory wheel backspacing. Are the 33's 10.50 or 12.50 width?

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Unfortunately, you just found out firsthand why you can't just throw on 33's just because you have a good deal on them without the proper setup. You should have found a good cheap used replacement 30's to get you buy until you can upgrade your suspension and gears to accept 33's on a 2.5l auto. And if it turns out you may need proper wheels with the right backspacing, then it really offset the 'good deal'.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately for me and the jeep I am going a cheap route but still need help.
Getting shock extensions for now. I got some but the thread type was 3/8" 24 and it does not match the thread on the top end of the (assuming) stock shock absorbers. Do any of you know what type of thread the stock shock absorbers use so that I can order a set of shock extensions? Thanks guys..

·
Registered
2,925 Posts
For $130 at summit racing.... Pick up the Teraflex 2" BB kit. Stock shocks will work with it. I ran stock shocks for a year with this Kit. It comes with correct bump stops.

If you need more clearance (doubt it for street use). Slap on a 1.25" body lift.

·
Registered
583 Posts
TnDz TJ said:
For $130 at summit racing.... Pick up the Teraflex 2" BB kit. Stock shocks will work with it. I ran stock shocks for a year with this Kit. It comes with correct bump stops.

If you need more clearance (doubt it for street use). Slap on a 1.25" body lift.
For another 100$ he could get Bds 2" coils and ditch the Poopy factory ones...

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Yeah, shock extensions won't help your situation at all. If you are going to keep the tires, focus on getting ~3" of lift as stated.

Cheapest route will be the 2"BB and 1"BL and you can use the same shocks.

A slightly better route would be a 2" Springs and 1" BL and you can still use current your shocks.

A even better route would be 3" springs, new sway links, and OME, Bilstein, or RS9000 shocks.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,126 Posts
Any sufficiently experienced TJ builder will say the absolute minimum for 33" tires is 3" of additional clearance. For offroading, 4" is recommended. Part of which can be a body lift, and I recommend nothing taller than a 1-1.25" body lift for a TJ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts