Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Wally World yesterday and purchased 5 new Goodyear Duratracks for my LJ. Great price BTW.

Now for the confusion part..............

I have a stock LJ, it came with 30 - 9.50 x 15's, the speedo has always been off (slow) by about 3 - 5 mph, to go 55 mph I had to be doing 60+/- on the speedo.

I installed 31 - 10.50 x 15" Duratracks, had the GPS with me to see how far off the speedo was going to be on the way home and it was dead on at all speeds.

Can someone tell me why? I'm not complaining mind you, that's $80 +/- dollars that I won't have to spend.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
$158/ea. plus balancing, valve stems, tax, road hazard warranty, etc.

Most other tire stores wanted $200+/ea., plus the other stuff.

Well that $80 I saved was just spent on head light conversions with www.4wd.com, Oh well the Jeep and my motorcycles suck up more money than my boat does ;-(

·
Registered
210 Posts
Because the speedo gear u have is for 31's I would imagine. Sounds a little back works to me, u should have been more off on your speed with bigger tires. But without knowing ur gears and what tooth speedo u have I would just guess ur jeep is set up for those tires.

·
Registered
302 Posts
How did you get them for 158? On line price shows 226 ea.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My wife was shopping for a crib for my neice, she always parks near the auto center, she saw this pile of tires by the door and called me on the cell phone and asked what size tires the Jeep needed.

I told her and she said Wally World has a pile of them by the door for $158/ea. I was there 1 hour later buying 5 new ones.

The cheapest place I had found was Costco and BJ's for about $209/ea.

I couldn't tell you what Speedo gear I have, but I do have 3:73 gears and Dana 44's front and rear ;-)

The Duratracks are noisy compared to the Mesa's that were on there.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote........
I have a stock LJ, it came with 30 - 9.50 x 15's, the speedo has always been off (slow) by about 3 - 5 mph, to go 55 mph I had to be doing 60+/- on the speedo.

With 33's and no speedo gear change, my speedo is always indicating slow, meaning when I'm going 55 indicated on speedo I'm actually going 62 GPS. This is opposite of what you said.

So with that in mind, if yours was indicating opposite of mine and you put bigger tires on then it should be closer to actual speed

You must of had a speedo gear for larger tires then you were running....

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Quote........

With 33's and no speedo gear change, my speedo is always indicating slow, meaning when I'm going 55 indicated on speedo I'm actually going 62 GPS. This is opposite of what you said.

So with that in mind, if yours was indicating opposite of mine and you put bigger tires on then it should be closer to actual speed

You must of had a speedo gear for larger tires then you were running....
+1 for me too

·
Registered
156 Posts
Your speedo was fast compared to your actual speed. The replacement of the 30" tires with 31" increased your roll-out or circumference of the tire which corrected your speedo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts