Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive me if I'm posting in the wrong place. I am still trying to get used to this app.

I hope you all can help me. I bought a 2014 JK Jeep Wrangler Sport in January. My first new automobile and my first Jeep. Anyway, I digress.

I bought Worx Triad 18" Black rims and that part was easy. I want to buy tires for it now and I know I get better deals online. Only problem is I don't want to make a mistake as it will be a pain in the ass to return. If I go to a tire shop with the rims I know they won't tell me what will fit without having to lift my jeep and also tires that will stick out parallel to the fenders.

Plus, the second I asked my audio shop, they said "get the rims and we'll get the tires." Uh no. So, I need some help here. I don't want to have to lift my jeep, but I also want that rugged look. I'm looking into the Goodyear off road tire. I don't off road at all, but I read that they are also good street wise and in snow. Plus they are a little more reasonable than Mickey Thompsons.

I've said so much. I thank whoever reads this and can help a girl out. Thank you.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discount tire or discount tire direct, best deals I've found plus it makes warranty stuff easy too.

I want to say free rotations for the life of the tire too

·
Registered
17 Posts
18" rims make it expensive, I kept my stocker aluminum 18" and it broke my heart when side by side with 16 or 17"

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
18" rims make it expensive, I kept my stocker aluminum 18" and it broke my heart when side by side with 16 or 17"
Thank you for the heads up on where to buy tires. But I'm more concerned about buying the right size mud tires and not too big so that I don't have to lift the truck.

The rims can handle 37" tires, but with a tire that big wouldn't I have to lift the truck?

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Without lifting it, you need to stay with 33s or smaller. Most people lift 2.5 inches to go with 35s

Backspacing and tire width will also affect what you can run.

Also, if you look under the stickies, there is a pretty extensive thread about tire sizes that should help.

·
Registered
130 Posts
For jk's the biggest tire you can run without a lift would be 35s but will be stuffed to the max in the wheel wells and will bottom out on the smallest of bumps/ potholes and gearing may be an issue if you have stock 3.21s. If you're not looking to lift your jeep but get that rugged look I'd get a 32 inch mud terrain. That's what I have on my willys and it's all stock.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Desert rat also has some decent deals as well

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without lifting it, you need to stay with 33s or smaller. Most people lift 2.5 inches to go with 35s

Backspacing and tire width will also affect what you can run.

Also, if you look under the stickies, there is a pretty extensive thread about tire sizes that should help.
Thank you. That's def helpful. I got my rims on today and I'm just gonna go with a 32" or 33". I just have to understand the technical terms such as back spacing and tire width. I'm gonna go check out those stickies. Thx again.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For jk's the biggest tire you can run without a lift would be 35s but will be stuffed to the max in the wheel wells and will bottom out on the smallest of bumps/ potholes and gearing may be an issue if you have stock 3.21s. If you're not looking to lift your jeep but get that rugged look I'd get a 32 inch mud terrain. That's what I have on my willys and it's all stock.
I think I'm leaning towards 32" bc of the NY pot holes. But I wanted to know, forgive me if its stupid to ask too, do your tires come out to the edge of your fenders? Eventually, I'm going to get the new flat fenders, but for now I want it to look a little more bottom heavy. If you know what I mean.

·
Registered
130 Posts
On mine my tires don't but they're metric at 75 wide. Not positive exactly how wide that is... I'm thinking 10.50in wide on a 9in wheel with no back spacing since they're the stock willys wheels. If you get a tire that's 12.50in wide then it would come close but still don't think they'd stick out and if they did it would be minimal with the stock fenders.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On mine my tires don't but they're metric at 75 wide. Not positive exactly how wide that is... I'm thinking 10.50in wide on a 9in wheel with no back spacing since they're the stock willys wheels. If you get a tire that's 12.50in wide then it would come close but still don't think they'd stick out and if they did it would be minimal with the stock fenders.
Thank you again! I think I at least have a better idea of what I want and need so that when I buy the tires (def off road mud tires) I wont be taken advantage of. I hope. 🙏

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
The 75 is not the tire width, it is the aspect ratio. For example, a 265/75R17 tire. The first number is the width in mm, so the tire is 265 mm =265/25.4=10.4 inches wide. The sidewall height is 0.75*265/25.4=7.8 inches. The diameter = 2*7.8+17=32.6 inches.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Also the rims came in (not on) was what I mean to say. I'm thinking these numbers And information will be relevant to the tire I will purchase?
Your rims are 18x9 with a positive 12 mm offset. This makes the hub closer to the outside of the wheel. Your backspace is about 9/2+12/25.4=5 inches.

I would think a 285/65R18 would be about the biggest you would want to run without a lift. I think you would be close to even with your fenders.

The info center on discounttire.com has some good descriptions on wheel offsets and tire sizes.

Also, a 285 wide tire is a good width for your 9 inch wide rim. I wouldn't go any skinnier than a 265

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Your rims are 18x9 with a positive 12 mm offset. This makes the hub closer to the outside of the wheel. Your backspace is about 9/2+12/25.4=5 inches. I would think a 285/65R18 would be about the biggest you would want to run without a lift. I think you would be close to even with your fenders. The info center on discounttire.com has some good descriptions on wheel offsets and tire sizes. Also, a 285 wide tire is a good width for your 9 inch wide rim. I wouldn't go any skinnier than a 265
Oops, I think I made a mistake calculating the backspace. It should be about. (9+1)/2+12/25.4=5.5 inches.

To double check, you can measure it easily since you have the rims.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks for the clarification George Ross as I've never had or bought a metric tire

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I use these sites to figure out offset / backspace and clearance issues:

Calculate offset / backspace:
Wheel/Tire Calculators | Custom Offsets

Compare one setup vs another setup:
Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

For comparisons the stock setup for an 18" rim is as follows (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

Stock Tire Size: 255/70/R18
Rim Size: 18x7.5 +45 Offset (6" back space)

When I compare that with your new setup, it looks like it *should* clear (but may be close to rubbing at full turn lock):

New Tire Size: 285/65/R18
New Wheel Size: 18x9 +12 Offset (5.5" back space)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts