Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Man, I checked mine out as good as I could and still got one that had been abused. You really wanna check the fluids in the diffs, transfer case and tranny and make sure they are good. Do a thorough check of the ball joints and all the suspension components as well as all the steering and u joints. This is the areas that seem to show up if it's been abused or poorly maintained. Tranny mounts are also prone to damage but are a cheap easy fix. But for sure go thru everything underneath and if you are able to, take it to a reputable shop for an inspection. It's worth the money and might save you a lot of headaches down the road.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes.. My father and I have recently bought one in late July early august.... It looked sweet so we hopped on the oppurtunity.... We didn't even bother checking the under body... a week later we found holes filled with a gum like goop the size of a baseball in the frame.... It was a 97... Long story short, check so you don't make the same mistake we did!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Rust is one common thing to check for- crawl under and look for rust. Poke at it, scrape it, is it surface or rusted through.

While under there look for the D44:)

Check fluids oil, diff, everything

Look for abuse- Jeeps can be off roared and not abused

Drive it

Have a mechanic look over it

Ask questions- ask to see service records

Remember there is no guarantee.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts