Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm planning to purchase my first Wrangler in July. I've tried looking into any other vehicle and talking myself out of it, but I keep coming back to the Wrangler. I'm looking forward to how much fun, and what a hobby it'll be. I'm looking at a 2017 JKU Sport, manual, with Tracloc. I'll probably start with a soft top.

I'm wondering about leaks, though. Like, am I just going to need to have a spare set of clothes / shoes, or is it not that serious? What are some of the solutions / tricks you guys've come up with?

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been through 5 Wranglers, all with soft tops and for the most part, they do not leak, or I have noticed if it does.

I want you to pick my lotto tickets.

I have (had) one - 2017 JKUWW softtop. It did not leak initially but has developed a few that tips on this site have made short fixes of. If there were major carpet soakers I'd probably go the dealer route, but so far it's cool.

I would not for one second let potential leaks stop you from getting one cool ride.

But they can leak.

Pete

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
2016 Wrangler. big leaker. swapped by dealership due to defective paint for a new 2017 order

2017. big leaker. going in on monday for the 4th time to fix leaks. this is the 3rd dealership that is giving it a shot. it's a moot point though b/c it's getting swapped by dealership again for another 2017 order otherwise i would lemon it.

there are some stats for you

·
Registered
336 Posts
I keep having lots of oil leaks of that's the kind of leak you're concerned with. Currently with the dealer for the 3rd time for the rear main seal.

As far as water leaks go, I bought my 15 with a hard top, I take the freedom panels out fairly often, remove the hard top, put it all back on, bought a used oem soft top on Craigslist, and have had zero water leaking problems. Only oil.

That's actually why I'm considering trading it in for a taco, because these oil leaks, and throw out bearing are getting really old really fast.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You won't regret getting a Wrangler. You'll regret that you didn't get one sooner. As far as leaks, I get a little water in the driver side floorboard when it rains. I just pull out the mat and towel dry it, and it's usually dry in a few hours. Overall, I never get leaks that get my clothes wet etc and my JK is my daily driver. Go for it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 16 Sahara leaked at the a pillars both sides. I got a 17 after the 16 was totaled. 3 months old now. I had two leaks. Both passenger side. Carpet and bottom of mat soaked passenger side. No water under carpet. Dealer determined the door was out of alignment. Then they determined the door seal gasket was defective. That was last week. Waiting for rain all this week to see if that fixes it.

·
Registered
10,414 Posts
Wranglers are not submarines. With removable tops, removal T-panels, removable doors, 1/2 metal-1/2 soft doors, drop windshield, and so on, all those parts don't always come back together perfectly so that they are sealed and water proof.

True, some seal back together better than others. IMHO, due to all the manufacturing variations and differences.

I think of it as being like having an umbrella. Even the best umbrella might leave your feet wet.

·
Registered
434 Posts
My JKU leaks at the A-pillar during a heavy rain. I get in, weight shifts to the drivers' side and my left leg gets soaked. Never saw this on the passenger side. Also, the rear windows need to be cranked up a little every so often. Eventually they end up about 1/4" down and if I don;t remember to crank them up every month or so a heavy rain will soak whatever is near the door.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts