Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, im new to this forum and kinda new to jeeps also... but love mine so far. have a 98 with 90000 miles and in great shape. traded stock wheels and tires for the american racing baja wheels 15x10 and 31x10.50 tires. Thinking about doing the coil spacers just in the front to level mine out a little. Read an article about making my own and because of budget that would work best. just getting everyones opinion on it. oh and i also trimmed the front fenders already and havent gotten around to doing the back yet so let me know what you guys think about that.
thanks

Attachments

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

That thing looks brand new. Great find. I think the fronts look sooooo much better without the milk jugs, but I left mine on the back. It just looked strange without them and I think they do offer a little protection for the rear corners of the tub.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that was the very first thing i did to it when i got it... the guy i bought it from was an older guy and he bought it new and had never off roaded it or anything... it was definitely a great find...

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Did the old guy ever put the top down???

If not take it easy on that top...I bought my 2000 TJ and the top obviously was never put down and 'looked' in perfect condition and never off-road. I say this because after purchasing and going topless 2x the stitching started breaking from dry rot and age.

Bought mine back in April, and now have to replace the top. I cant even put the side windows back in anymore..oh well tho, great excuse for a new top :D

So take it real easy on that top..BTW great looking jeep..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
funny you say that because mine is the same way.... he told me he had never had it down or off... so the very first time i took it down it cracked right at the front corners... but it doesnt leak so oh well.... any tips or opinions on adding the front coil spacers???

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i actually have a friend that owns a machine shop and can make me some with perfect dimensions and machining for free... so im probably gonna go that route. but everywhere i read it talks about doing the spacers all the way around the jeep and im only wanting to do the front end... is that out of the ordinary or what???

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would suggest you put them all the way around....unless you have him make you a 1" spacer. If you put the 2" up front only, it will definitely sit significantly higher than the rear...looking as if you had hundreds of pounds of cargo in the back

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well from the measurements i took im only gonna need about a little over an inch spacers in the front to level it out... so thats what i asked him to make me...

·
Registered
121 Posts
ok yeh that would look fine...BTW nice Jeep and nice color!! After you put that one inch spacer on, you'll need to realign it because the toe will be in a little. It won't be off much but enough to where you'll need to have it realigned....or do it yourself. Use the search function on DIY alignments, it's fairly easy if you have basic hand tools.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
nice looking Jeep! :wavey:
Keep in mind, if you plan on upgrading bumpers, most aftermarket rear bumpers weigh more than OEM. My Dirtworx dropped the back end 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
also another question i had... my zippers on my half upper doors are both stripped out... is just replacing the door skins the cheapest option???

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
also another question i had... my zippers on my half upper doors are both stripped out... is just replacing the door skins the cheapest option???
Probably your safest option.

You might be able to find a tent & canvas type shop that could sew in a new zipper, but door uppers have a lot of tension on the zipper, going in all sorts of directions.
If you aren't in a rush, watch craigslist, sometimes you can find people selling off spare parts after selling off a Jeep, or switching from a hard top setup to soft top setup, and vice-versa.
In the past few months, I've seen locals selling off spare door uppers, both canvas and sliders.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey just wanted to see what everyone thinks of the finished project. I installed the coil spacers on the front and got all the fenders trimmed. Give me your opinions

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I wasn't planning on it. I measure the distance from the tire to the fender on the front and back and it's the same. I just noticed it looks like the front is higher in the picture but I think that's just the angle

·
Registered
121 Posts
Snap some more pics for us of different angles

1 - 20 of 24 Posts