Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I already posted to New Members, but it was recommended that I do the same here for more valuable responses. I just bought a 2005 Wrangler Rocky Mountain Edition, with a manual transmission. It's my first Jeep and first manual car, and I'm living in Chicago. I've been reading so much on this site while researching; now that I finally own a Jeep, I wanted to see if anyone had some advice or tips about City driving with a manual Jeep. I have friends who are also bringing me up to speed, but wanted to hear from some Jeep folks as well.

Anything would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
Please do not call your vehicle a car. To a Jeep that is an insult, for it is not dull and boring like a car.

On city streets in stop and go traffic, you will spend a lot of time in 2nd and 3rd gears. Try to keep your revs up to at least 1250 and be sensitive to lugging. That is when you press too hard on the gas and the Jeep just does not respond because the revs are too low. Just remember how it felt and drop into a lower gear.

Don't try to speed shift, it's not a racer or a sports car. Until you really get used to it, remember that when you turn the steering wheel it moves.

Enjoy the Jeep.

Reactions: Bwh468

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
City driving with a manual, well your left leg will get bigger than your right. :)
It's just practice, you'll get it. For now leave a little extra space in front when you stop, just some wiggling room. Long lights, put in neutral and up on the clutch. Give your leg and throwout bearing a rest.
Pretty soon you won't even be aware that you're shifting.

·
Registered
229 Posts
ALWAYS SCAN AHEAD AND PREPARE FOR SUDDEN SLOW DOWNS/ STOPS! People now days don't think about the poor guy in a stick shift.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
The biggest single issue I see with drivers new to manual transmissions is wanting to shift to the next gear too soon and at too low of an RPM. Or driving in 5th gear when they should be in 4th gear, etc.

I'm going to confine my suggestions to just just this... don't be afraid to let the engine rev a little higher before shifting. You don't want to "lug" the engine by forcing it to have to accelerate from too low of an rpm. If the engine isn't accelerating easily, downshift to a lower gear so the engine can accelerate more easily.

Engine rpms are your friend, not your enemy. :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Don't know what other people will say to this, but if you're stopped and you see a car coming up behind you, and you're on a hill. Let off the brake for a second. The person behind you will hopefully see that you're driving a stick and they'll leave you a little bit more room.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,405 Posts
The person behind you will hopefully see that you're driving a stick and they'll leave you a little bit more room.
I doubt more than 1 in 1000 of today's drivers is astute enough to realize that or would even notice or pay attention to that. :)

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Shift clean & crisp. Avoid riding your clutch. Find an incline to practice starting from dead stop. If you don't have ABS mind your distance (should do that anyway). Welcome to the band & enjoy the ride :thumb:

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Congrats on the new to you Jeep! Welcome to the family and don't forget to give the "Jeep Wave" to other Jeeps! You will get used to driving a manual. I love them and will always drive one. You now own a vehicle (not a car) that can do what most on the road cannot.
Enjoy and be proud you own something that will change your life!

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I doubt more than 1 in 1000 of today's drivers is astute enough to realize that or would even notice or pay attention to that. :)
I'm sure you're right. I still do it out of a force of habit at this point.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
The more you drive it the more comfortable you will be, even starting out on an incline. When I drive with my manual trans in heavy traffic I will leave more room between me and the vehicle ahead of me so I can just "cruise" in 1st gear with less stop and go if that makes sense.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Don't know what other people will say to this, but if you're stopped and you see a car coming up behind you, and you're on a hill. Let off the brake for a second. The person behind you will hopefully see that you're driving a stick and they'll leave you a little bit more room.
you can use the E-brake on hills too. when you feel the clutch engaging, let the E-brake off. real easy to do with a little practice.

·
Premium Member
1,898 Posts
Well since most every thing has been covered I'll throw this in. Don't try giving any of your friends a tow till you are well acquainted with your Jeep.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Good move, buying the Jeep. Now move to a good place where you can enjoy it. Rocky Mountain Edition, it's a sign. Take your Jeep home and live happily ever after.

Practice keeping your foot off of the clutch pedal. You will wear out your clutch if you rest your foot on the pedal. Keep your foot on the floor unless you are shifting. You don't have to push the pedal to the floor either, just enough to disconnect the engine and transmission.

You can actually shift without the clutch but don't try it yet. Good to understand though.

·
Premium Member
8,346 Posts
you can use the E-brake on hills too. when you feel the clutch engaging, let the E-brake off. real easy to do with a little practice.
I had not thought of mentioning that. Don't have too many hills in S. Georgia, but on exit ramps to over passes, it is also helpful.

That is one feature about the Wrangler that after you get accustomed to it, will love. I got to love the center mounted e-brake when I bought my TR-4A in 1965. You can hold the brake lever up and when you anticipate movement, press the release and hold the lever up. Then as the clutch starts to take hold, release the brake lever slowly, similar to the way you do the brake pedal on level ground.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yea, I've had mixed opinions on that. And while I was making a decision, I spent the last month awkwardly looking inside all the Jeeps parked in my neighborhood, and about 40% of them were manual, plus I figured if the rest of the planet can drive stick in Urban areas, so can this spry millennial. I doubt that many owners of the Jeep Sahara editions are living in North Africa, but they still seem to enjoy them.

To your point about not pushing the pedal to the floor when shifting, that's what I've been thinking about the past week while driving. It feels like I only need to push it in about 50% to disconnect the engine. I didn't know if that was bad for the clutch or something, thanks!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My above comment was meant for Wrangaleer. But also for everyone else, thank you for all the comments, this is exactly what I was looking for. Apologies for the "car" comment; I was laughing at being grilled for that, won't happen again.

One other question, how long can I be driving in 1st for? There are a couple parts of my drive where it's a stop sign every block, short blocks too, and I want to just stay in 1st, but my RPMs are at about 3000, is that way too high or not a big deal?

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Hi Bwh,

As a long time stick driver may I offer the following advice:

1. Get to know your clutch bite point. That is the point when the clutch engages the engine. On a slight incline with a touch of revs it will hold the jeep stationary. Push the clutch in for there and the jeep will roll back. Let the clutch out and the jeep will move forward.

2. Listen to the engine as the engine tone will tell you when to shift gear.

3. WRT to urban stops, I would change out of 1st pretty quickly. 'But' your jeep probably has enough torque to pull away in 2nd.

4. In snow/ice which I am sure you get in Chicago, changing down the gears & easing off the accelerator can be more effective to safely slow down than using the brake

Enjoy

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I've rarely ever done that. Even when I was learning on hills, I never did. Plus my jeep hasn't had a working e-brake up until recently. Granted the jeep was the third manual I've owned (fifth if considering technicalities). Not saying don't do it, there are just other ways. It's kind of hard for me to explain how to drive a stick to people at this point. It's like tying my shoes. I can do it, I know I can do it, but I for the life of me couldn't explain how to do it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts