Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi to all the jeep enthusiast. I'm planning to buy a 2008 Jeep wrangler unlimited X rear wheel with 22,000 miles as my second car. This is going to be my first jeep ever.

Now my question is, what issues do I have to deal with owning one? What do I have to ask/look for before buying it from a dealership? Is $19,800 a good price? What kind of problems would I encounter as this is going to be my daily driver?

Sorry for a long post. Any advice would greatly help me to decide.

Thanks,
Mike

·
The Bad Guy
23,234 Posts
When you say "rear wheel", do you mean that it's not 4WD?

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
If it's not 4x4 then it seems to me that the price is too high.... Resale on 2x4's is not good, and you will have a hard time unloading it.... just like the current seller is.

Congratulations on choosing a Wrangler. Your life will never be the same :) Don't forget to wave. And don't let these guys beat you up on choosing a 2x4 if you are certain you'll NEVER use 4WD. But do be aware there is virtually no market for a 2x4 Wrangler.....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If it's not 4x4 then it seems to me that the price is too high.... Resale on 2x4's is not good, and you will have a hard time unloading it.... just like the current seller is.

Congratulations on choosing a Wrangler. Your life will never be the same :) Don't forget to wave. And don't let these guys beat you up on choosing a 2x4 if you are certain you'll NEVER use 4WD. But do be aware there is virtually no market for a 2x4 Wrangler.....
hehe, thanks! Like i said its going to be my second car, and I know I'm not going to do some offroading with it. I already have a weekend/fun car that I could get an adrenaline rush from already.

So any insights about Wrangler's would really be helpful.

As far as for the wave, I do that with my other car and I would do the same to fellow jeep owners if i get it =)

·
I AM THERE4 I JEEP
12,295 Posts
oh please don't get a 4x2 wrangler....if you have another car that you like on the weekends already, you have no idea how much your going to enjoy a 4x4 wrangler. The first time you use it you'll be hooked and the first time you go offroad with it you'll be in love for life. 4wd is the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
8,554 Posts
Only you know what's right for you, but think hard about a 2x4.

There's a lot of people on this forum who THOUGHT their Mustang or whatever was going to be their "fun" car and the Wrangler was just going to be an "extra". But before they knew it, their "fun" car hardly got driven, and they were posting here every day.

If that ends up being you, ESP is right: You're likely going to wish you had a 4x4. You might not have any snow, but unless you're surrounded by pavement for 100 miles in any direction, some occasional offroading is going to call to you. Plus it helps your "street cred" among Jeep folks.

Also, the resale thing is no joke. I don't even think Jeep is making a 2x4 Wrangler in 2011--the market for them is that scant.

Now, that said, you know yourself best and if a 2x4 is right for you, so be it. It's just that your original post asked whether there was anything you should know, and we're telling you there is: You should think deeply before getting a two wheel drive Wrangler.

·
Registered
622 Posts
MTH said:
Only you know what's right for you, but think hard about a 2x4.

There's a lot of people on this forum who THOUGHT their Mustang or whatever was going to be their "fun" car and the Wrangler was just going to be an "extra". But before they knew it, their "fun" car hardly got driven, and they were posting here every day.

If that ends up being you, ESP is right: You're likely going to wish you had a 4x4. You might not have any snow, but unless you're surrounded by pavement for 100 miles in any direction, some occasional offroading is going to call to you. Plus it helps your "street cred" among Jeep folks.

Also, the resale thing is no joke. I don't even think Jeep is making a 2x4 Wrangler in 2011--the market for them is that scant.

Now, that said, you know yourself best and if a 2x4 is right for you, so be it. It's just that your original post asked whether there was anything you should know, and we're telling you there is: You should think deeply before getting a two wheel drive Wrangler.
Amen

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
The price is too high for that type of Wrangler. I think after awhile a 4x2 isn't going to do it for you. I'm sure you can find a good used 4x4 Wrangler in your area at a fair price. I think you'll be glad you waited to find one.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Offer them $16K and laugh at them if they say no.

Bet it will get great gas mileage...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you guys! I'm starting to think/sway away from it. I have been looking for a good price for a 4x4, but i cant seem to find one. All the unlimited 4x4 are at least $24,000 and up. If not, they are '07 or below with high miles.

Haha, my weekend cars are '08 vette z51, and my project car '05 350z.

·
Registered
8,929 Posts
Don't let mileage scare you if the vehicle seems maintained.
I've got an '08 with 73,000 miles and it runs like a top.

Just make sure that the dealer has looked after wear items.

BTW, I've only driven my go-fast car a handful of times since buying the Jeep. I'm down to just one now, in fact.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
And as many has stated, the 2X4 model will be very hard to sell if you decide to trade up later while the 4X4 model has excellent resale value

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you want something cheaper just get a TJ. And like someone else has said don't worry about miles. I've got 144,000 and it still runs like new (knock on wood lol). TJs are great and much cheaper than JKs. But JKs are super good too (if it's in your budget). You can't go wrong with either one, that is, as long as the jeep is 4x4 :D

·
Registered
203 Posts
Dunno about the 4door model but I walked out with a 2door 2010 brand new for $18,000 after all taxes/fees. There should be some killer year end deals.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dunno about the 4door model but I walked out with a 2door 2010 brand new for $18,000 after all taxes/fees. There should be some killer year end deals.
Yea, im looking for the 4door. I been looking for about 2-3months for a good deal =/

·
Jeeper
11,419 Posts
Call your lender and get the loan value on it. That's the best way to find out if it's a good price, but honestly, if it's at a dealer, I don't think you'll get your best price.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts