Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello everyone I am on a K9 search and rescue team and looking into getting a wrangler and transforming it into a K9 SAR Jeep. Problem being I don't even know were to start. Some of my questions are like are they all about the same size, is there better yrs, is the 4.0 really the better way to go? So if anyone is willing to throw some ideas out that would be great.
I do work at a Performance Shop so looking for one that has nothing done to it so I can specialize it.
Thanks

·
Registered
688 Posts
Get a 4.0 litre, try to ensure a d44 rear axle or buy a rubicon model. Research lockers, you'll want a lift , winch etc.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'm a former K-9 handler. My patrol vehicle was a blazer, which worked well. I would suggest a LJ for it's size. With the back seat in, there would be enough room for your dog to be comfortable for a road trip. Take the back seat out, and you could haul quite a bit more gear and supplies.

I would further suggest a Rubicon, which would have the heavier D44 axels and lockers are stock with the Rubicon package. You could get by with a soft top, but a hard top would be easier for loading and unloading the K-9 and supplies.

What kind of dog? I ran a Black Lab. I still have her, I think she's around 12. I have to help her get into the back of the Jeep. She runs and jumps, but I have to grab her hips and boost her in!

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
4.0 LJ. My lab rides in a receiver rack in a kennel on my tj. More room he loves it. It rare though. No bad weather. Mostly taking him fishing. Or stopping me from fishing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First thank you for the info...we have a English shepherd. We didn't plan on doing sar he (our dog) needed a job. My husband is my backer I handle our dog...I am a chick who likes her shopping so needless to say sar has toughen me up!!!! lol crazy what we will do for our dogs!
When I comes to a jeep was planing doing a rear seat delete.
Question with the 3.8...was told to stay away is that because of lack of pep??

·
Registered
341 Posts
We're talking two different Jeeps. The above information concerns the '97 through '06 Wranglers known as TJ's and the '04 through 06 Unlimited known as LJ's. The 4.0l is from this era, and a very good and reliable engine,

The 3.8l is from a JK which is a completely redesigned Jeep, starting in '07. I know nothing about JK's. The Rubicon package I believe is about the same, and the Unlimited is a 4 door.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts