Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm new to the this whole lifting business, as the title dictates, and I was looking for help on what to buy to get the results I want.

First off, I have a 2013 Wrangler Sport.
After some reading on here it looks like I should start with the size of tires I plan on running. So, I'm wanting to run 35x12.5x15s (also curious on the backspacing needed for this). The jeep is my main means of transportation, so it will mainly be street driven. But, I'm wanting to take it out mudding and off-roading once or twice every weekend when I have time. My buddy who is stationed here with me suggested getting a 4" lift to get the most out of the tires. But I have been informed by others that a 4" isn't necessarily needed. I'm looking for a lift that will be able to accommodate the size tires I want without sacrificing any clearance and minimal rubbing. I'm also not wanting to replace the driveshaft (for now). Right now, my budget is roughly $2000 for the kit, but I can go higher if needed.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Read lots before you decide...

You can absolutely get full use out of 35's with a premium 2.5 lift kit.

You'll want a wheel with between 4.5" and 5" of backspacing. You are definitely in the range of the good stuff...

The 2 I suggest you start looking at are Rock Krawler and MetalCloak. Check them out and come back with questions. :happyyes: Depending on how far you want to go, I suggest the 2.5 Flex System and 2.5 Dual Rate ARB.

4 Door JKU 2.5 Flex - Stage 1

JK Wrangler True Dual-Rate Lift Kit, 2.5"/3.5", ARB Edition

You can also buy premium kits that don't include shocks and add Rancho or Fox or Bilstein and make it what you want it to be.

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Read that stuff for sure. With $2000 you can get a nice 2.5 inch lift but for about $1200 you can get a solid, complete lift. See my sig. Very popular set up, will get the job done and you can upgrade later. With that extra $800, get a tire carrier. You'll need it with 35's.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Read lots before you decide...

You can absolutely get full use out of 35's with a premium 2.5 lift kit.

You'll want a wheel with between 4.5" and 5" of backspacing. You are definitely in the range of the good stuff...

The 2 I suggest you start looking at are Rock Krawler and MetalCloak. Check them out and come back with questions. :happyyes: Depending on how far you want to go, I suggest the 2.5 Flex System and 2.5 Dual Rate ARB.

4 Door JKU 2.5 Flex - Stage 1

JK Wrangler True Dual-Rate Lift Kit, 2.5"/3.5", ARB Edition

You can also buy premium kits that don't include shocks and add Rancho or Fox or Bilstein and make it what you want it to be.
I checked out the two lifts that you recommended, and I'm leaning towards the MetalCloak 3.5". Some questions I had are mainly about things I read on the beginners guide to lifts. As far as I can tell, the kit comes with two control arms. One, I'm not really sure control arms do (I hate being a newbie), and two, how many do I actually need? Another question I had was involving backspacing. The wheels I was looking at have 3.75" of backspacing. Would that work or not? Just wondering, because you had mentioned 4.5-5" of backspacing. What exactly is the backspacing for?

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
I checked out the two lifts that you recommended, and I'm leaning towards the MetalCloak 3.5". Some questions I had are mainly about things I read on the beginners guide to lifts. As far as I can tell, the kit comes with two control arms.

One, I'm not really sure control arms do Control arms connect the frame to the axle in a 5 link system. Those front upper control arms allow you to set the proper caster in the front after you lift.

two, how many do I actually need? There are a couple of ways to set caster in the front, but if using control arms you need 2, either upper or lower will do the trick. The Jeep has 8 arms and the really "loaded" lifts will include all 8. That gets very expensive and typically not necessary.

Another question I had was involving backspacing. The wheels I was looking at have 3.75" of backspacing. Would that work or not? That would work, but your tires are going to stick out quite a lot. An additional 1.25" over what is desired. Some people like that look and others do not. Also, the farther out you are the more leverage is applied to ball joints, etc. causing increased wear.

Just wondering, because you had mentioned 4.5-5" of backspacing. What exactly is the backspacing for? Back spacing is the distance between the mounting surface of the wheel and the inside flange. It's what keeps your wheel from rubbing on your suspension parts, like control arms.
Less back spacing leads to a negative offset and more "poke". How far your wheels poke out from under your fenders.

Here's a wheel image that might help you:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts