Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh what have I gotten myself into! Ok so here is the scoop. I picked up an 89 YJ yesterday that needs some TLC. I have never really done my own work on a vehicle except brake pads a couple times but that's about it. I was told by the guy I got it from that the owner before him is the one who did all the modifications. What I was told, it has D 44's front and rear. Will get some pictures so hopefully you guys can help me confirm or debunk this. I was also told it has a rough country 3" lift and a 2" body lift. It also had an engine swap done to a V6 not sure which one. Ok now to the things I know it needs. I know it needs a new front drive shaft. Can I just get a drive shaft out if any YJ and bolt it to the "D 44"? I also know it needs some brake work but I'm hoping I can handle that. It was also making a little bit of a whining noise as we pulled it in that may be the power steering. It also needs some carb work. I was told by the guy I got it from that he replaced the float sensor but it still was running rough. He thinks it needs a new needle valve and to be tuned. I'm sure I am forgetting something and I am certain other things will pop up along the way. I appreciate any input and any suggestions of where to start with this whole thing, cause I'm pretty sure I'm in over my head.

Attachments

·
Mr Jeepy of California
466 Posts
Looks beautiful. Congrats!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe it's just called a float? Float sensor was what the previous owner called it and I don't know other wise. It is the float in the carb.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I sure don't want to discourage anyone that wants to learn. but ,given this vehicle that has already been tinkered with by someone with questionable knowledge,you may be in over your head.no doubt that you can eventually do it but be prepared for a ride on a long dirt road with a lot of potholes.you might be better off to get someone that knows what they are doing to get the carb straightened out and then you can tinker with the other things on it...just my opinion which does not make it so.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I completely agree. It does run and it will drive he said it just idles rough and will spit and sputter. He replaced the float but didn't replace the needle. His thinking was it needs a new needle and needs to be tuned and that will help. I have no issue tinkering to a point and will get someone else to look at it if it becomes too much. He did say when he delivered it that he turned something from 1 to 4 or 4 to 1 ( sorry I can't remember) and it was running a little better. I'm sure you guys would be able to give me better info if I actually knew what kind of carb and motor it was. I will try to get better pictures later when I get home from work.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
that sounds like maybe a vacuum leak ..check all the vacuum lines on the carb.if they are all either connected or plugged then try spraying carb cleaner around the base of the carb.if the idle speed changes then you have found the leak

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks for the tips. It's going to be a few days before I can mess with it but I wanted to get some ideas before I started just playing with it.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
look for markings on it...it looks like it might be a chevy but I have never owned or had any experience with a v6 chevy so I can't be sure

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That was my second guess but I thought the diff cover was maybe a little too round for that.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts