Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st post, longtime viewer.

Ok so i picked up a 98 TJ, with a rubicon express lift kit and 35's. It is a 4.0 with a 5 speed tranny. It is like driving a 4 speed I never even get close to using 5th gear. It is pretty sluggish on hills on-road. It will be my DD as well as some light wheeling on the weekends (no hardcore stuff for now). I'm thinking gear swap, any recommendations from those running a similar set-up?

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'd suggest 4.88's with that setup.
This. The general consensus is that a 4.0L 5-speed on 35s should go with 4.88 gears, while a 4.0L automatic on 35s should go with 4.56 gears.

I also have a 1998 4.0L 5-speed Wrangler running 35" tires. I re-geared at the same time I did the suspension lift & tire upgrade (plus a whole lot of other stuff, but that's another story). My long-term plans for my Jeep include an automatic transmission conversion, so I decided to go with 4.56 gears.

Before my Jeep makeover, I was running 31" tires and 3.73 gears. At that point, I thought the Jeep felt very lively around town. Now on 35s with my 4.56 gears, it feels a bit sluggish by comparison. Were I to keep it a manual forever, I would definitely want to replace them with 4.88s instead.

FYI

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the same set-up, I decided to put in a 8.8 and hp 30 with the new gears. Just a suggestion, I decided that with the cost of the gears I was just aswell to upgrade.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts