Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this Jeep within the last 24hrs. I'm trying to chase down a Vibration I have at 40mph, but it quickly goes away at 45mph. It's not Death wobble. The guy who I bought it off of only had it for the last 1000 miles and doesn't know much about it. Seem it was a Mall Crawler, but it came with a ton of solid upgrades.

RE 4.5in or maybe 3.5in Lift. It's the Super-Flex Short Arm kit. I'm just not sure on the Height. It has Poison Spyder Flares and 37in Tires. The guy had a well known local Offroad shop check everything and all they came up with was throw on a Fox Steering Stabilizer. Which didn't fix it. Tires, Driveshafts and everything is tight. has a CV style from Driveshaft.

There isn't any weights on the outside of the wheels, So I'm guessing it has beads inside. I'll confirm this later this week. I might just add more and see what that does.

But I was thinking maybe doing a
-CV rear shaft (Front XJ Driveshaft cut to fit)
- High Steer kit (Rough Country???)
-AEV Brackets?

The Vibration seems to be all over and not just in the Steering Wheel.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Speed related vibes are typically tire related.

I would have them road force balanced/get rid of the beads if that is in fact what you have.

Other cheaper way is borrow a set of known good set of rims/tires and throw them on for a quick test.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
632 Posts
Agree with JeepJK, Lose the beads. People use centrimatics and balancemasters (sort of a bead equivilant) on 42's, but 37's should balance with weights. Watch the balancing and look for an out of round tire or bent wheel. Just because a tire balances doesn't mean it will be smooth. A wooden block can be made to balance. Put worse offender as spare, best two up front.

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
Ahhh. The joys of fixing someone else's mistakes.
Here is a thread on how to measure the height of the lift
As to the vibration, I would also suspect a tire balance issue if it occurs at certain speeds. Another possible issue is a drive shaft mis-alignment issue. That can also cause a speed related vibration. If you pull the front drive shaft, does the vibration go away? That is the easy check to see if it is the drive shaft (it is usually the front drive shaft as that is the one that is torn between good caster numbers and good pinion angle at higher lift heights).
For the tires, if you can get the road force balanced I would do that.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a vibration in a different vehicle that was tracked down to one of the rear wheels. As mentioned, check balance, tires, and rims.

·
Registered
5,672 Posts
A speed related vibration is a rotational vibration. So anything that rotates in the drivetrain. Tires and wheels is the easiest to check first. Rotating the wheels and change the feel. Next would be the driveshaft’s, then bearings and front axle UJoints.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
519 Posts
I dealt with this recently and it turned out to be a tire balance issue. Swapping out wheels and tires is a great option if you have a spare set but you can also rotate front tires to rear and see if you notice a difference.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone, About what I was thinking. I'm used to Leafs and not coils. My YJ was on 38s SX's and ran beads. No Vibrations at all on it. I'm going to first rotate the tires and see if the Vibrations moves with the tires.

I'm not going to wheel this one has hard as I did my last. For one it has the Dana 30 front. I'm just going to sleeve and truss it and just lock the rear. The JKU will be my daily driver and to pull my Fishing Kayak around with. Building a Kayak trailer with 33's or 35's on it.

My Last Jeep

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ahhh. The joys of fixing someone else's mistakes.
Here is a thread on how to measure the height of the lift
As to the vibration, I would also suspect a tire balance issue if it occurs at certain speeds. Another possible issue is a drive shaft mis-alignment issue. That can also cause a speed related vibration. If you pull the front drive shaft, does the vibration go away? That is the easy check to see if it is the drive shaft (it is usually the front drive shaft as that is the one that is torn between good caster numbers and good pinion angle at higher lift heights).
For the tires, if you can get the road force balanced I would do that.
With the front Driveshaft having CV joints (aftermarket). I would think it should be good. but it's an easy check. I'll do the tires first then remove the shaft.

·
Super Moderator
15,620 Posts
What's it got for a rear shaft? Rear pinion looks like it might be a little below zero, but the angle of the photo makes it hard to tell. Make sure the rear pinion is zero....

As above, I lean towards it being tires related.

·
Super Moderator
5,905 Posts
With the front Driveshaft having CV joints (aftermarket). I would think it should be good. but it's an easy check. I'll do the tires first then remove the shaft.
First, assuming a new drive shaft is balanced is a mistake. Sometimes new drive shafts vibrate. It happens.
Second, even if it is balanced correctly, a drive shaft needs the correct pinion angle to work right and not vibrate. Even a balanced drive shaft can vibrate if your pinion angle is wrong.
The front drive shaft is more likely to vibrate, but either can.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What's it got for a rear shaft? Rear pinion looks like it might be a little below zero, but the angle of the photo makes it hard to tell. Make sure the rear pinion is zero....

As above, I lean towards it being tires related.
I rotated the Tires and it went away for 3 days. Just came back tonight. I'm going to get a Front Track Bar Relocation Bracket and get the Tires balanced.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I rotated the Tires and it went away for 3 days. Just came back tonight. I'm going to get a Front Track Bar Relocation Bracket and get the Tires balanced.
Let us know what the fix was... my stock 2014 is doing the same... vibration between 50-55kph.... either front driveshaft is going or its the new slotted and drilled brake disks I put in.

Are your rotors slotted/drilled? cant tell from the pic's

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let us know what the fix was... my stock 2014 is doing the same... vibration between 50-55kph.... either front driveshaft is going or its the new slotted and drilled brake disks I put in.

Are your rotors slotted/drilled? cant tell from the pic's
Will do, Mine is the tires. I rotated them and it mostly away. Still a little there. I'm chasing another odd vibration from the rear now. That has me really confused.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think my last Vibration is my Torque Converter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts