Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 2012 JK Unlimited Sport with 145k miles on it, soft top, manual for a killer price from a guy off Craiglist. It has a couple of minor issues that I am pretty sure are easy to fix but I need some advice as to where to start.

First off, It does the 45-70mph vibration/rattle. It isn't extremely bad, but bad enough I want to fix it ASAP. I did some reading through the forum stickies and I believe it just needs the tires balanced. The tires are actually pretty worn out and I think need to be replaced anyway so I am going to start with new tires and alignment to see if that will clear it up, if it doesn't I will go get one of those Road Force balances that the other post mentions, if you guys have any opinions about that let me know.

Second thing is a squeak. At low speeds (less than 25mph) there is a noticeable squeak for every rotation of something, not sure if it is a wheel rotation or drive shaft or U-joint or... The slower you go the slower the squeak the faster the faster the squeak. I did some reading and I thought it was the U-joint on the main drive shaft but once I crawled under there the drive shaft doesn't have normal U-Joints so I am not sure. The sound appears to be coming from the passenger side. Any thoughts?

Also while I am here and asking for advice, I tried to take the doors off and they won't budge. I am guessing they are just stuck or have never been taken off, can I just take a pin and hammer to the bottom of the hinge and bang on it? WD-40??

Thanks for the help guys and look forward to getting this Jeep in the mud!

·
Super Moderator
15,389 Posts
First off, It does the 45-70mph vibration/rattle. I would start with the tires as well. At that mileage you should also check ball joints and torque everything down.

Second thing is a squeak. IMO start with checking the brake pads. Up front there is a shield that can catch a small rock or bend. Squeaking in the rear can also be a sign of a bent rear axle shaft flange.

Also while I am here and asking for advice, I tried to take the doors off and they won't budge. First remove the torx bolt on the bottom of each pin. Then use a penetrating oil. If they're extra difficult use the oil several times over a couple of days.

Thanks for the help guys and look forward to getting this Jeep in the mud!
Answers above in RED

If your 2012 was mine I would run thru the entire planman death wobble check to make sure everything is in order.

Good luck and have fun!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
For the doors:

I bought a 2011 with 130k miles and the doors also wouldn't budge. If they were ever removed, it had been years. You should be able to tell if they were removed by the condition/presence of the torx caps.

If they're not on, the doors were removed at some point. If they're on, remove them. Then WD-40 the hinges liberally. Wait 15 mins or so -- while you wait, put the windows down all the way. Unhook the cable and strap from the door and move it back and fort to work in the WD-40.

Try to lift up on the door, you might need to get the Jeep rocking and bouncing a bit, this part takes a decent amount of strength as the doors are fairly heavy.

If it's not moving upward at all, reapply WD-40 and work it in, then repeat trying to lift up on the door from the top part of the frame.

Eventually they'll come loose, barring some sort of extreme problem like a smashed hinge or excessive rusting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts