Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Ya'll, I'm a new member here and just recently bought a 2000 Wrangler. I have had several CJ's but this is the first "modern" Jeep.
I have a question. I have the 4.0 six. Does it have a timing belt or chain? What is the change interval on each? I bought it from a dealer so i don't know the mechanical history. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
135 Posts
Chain eng. I have seen more than one Grand Cherokee 4.0L with over 200,000 and still on the original chain. Just keep clean oil in it.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Yep it has a steel chain that generally lasts until at least the first engine overhaul which isn't normally expected until you have at least 250K or more miles on your engine. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for all the help!!

Thanks for all the help. I really rely on these forums for all the cars I have. I live in central SC if anyone needs some help with their Jeeps. Just give me a PM and I'll be there. I'm retired so my schedule is flexible. Thanks again Tom

·
Knows a couple things...
49,417 Posts
Noticed you're an RVN vet Buckstom, I was there '69-70 903rd Aeromedevac. Where were you flying out of? I was pretty much everywhere from Dong Ha to Tay Ninh.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jerry, I was there 70 /71

I was in Quon Loi in 70/71. I was with the 11th Armored Cav. Thanks for your service brother.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts