Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on what looks like a terrific site!!

I bought my first Jeep 2 weeks ago, 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X. It has been running great and lots of fun to drive! Today however, after a routine drive to the store it started feeling a little bit off. It felt as if the parking brake was engaged just a little bit while I drove. After about 4 miles of driving roughly 35-60 mph I started to smell a small bit of burning. Fortunately I was 1/4 mi away from home. When I got home the burning smell was coming from the front 2 wheels.

I know very little about auto repair. However, I do know some, so If a problem is easy to correct, I will usually fix it myself. This does not happen too often, especially when dealing with the engine.

Here's what I know... I live in Florida so roads are relatively flat, when I park somewhere, I do not rip up on the parking brake. Although when I park at home my driveway has a slight grade to it and the Jeep will roll unless the parking brake is fully engaged so I tug up on it pretty good. I will usually leave in gear when parked at home for fear the break will give and my Jeep will roll into the street.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading this post and have a great day, I look forward to spending a good deal of time on this website!

·
Administrator
2020 Jeep Gladiator
42,870 Posts
It sounds pretty normal to me.
A couple of things you may want to check on: Are your back brakes in good shape and what kind of shape is your parking brake cable?
If your rear brakes need repalcing this may affect the parking brake. Also if there is allot of slack in your parking brake cable, it may need to be adjusted.
My answers were pretty generic so hopefully someone with more JK parking brake experiance will chime in.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Nieds579 said:
Hello everyone,

This is my first post on what looks like a terrific site!!

I bought my first Jeep 2 weeks ago, 2007 Wrangler Unlimited X. It has been running great and lots of fun to drive! Today however, after a routine drive to the store it started feeling a little bit off. It felt as if the parking brake was engaged just a little bit while I drove. After about 4 miles of driving roughly 35-60 mph I started to smell a small bit of burning. Fortunately I was 1/4 mi away from home. When I got home the burning smell was coming from the front 2 wheels.

I know very little about auto repair. However, I do know some, so If a problem is easy to correct, I will usually fix it myself. This does not happen too often, especially when dealing with the engine.

Here's what I know... I live in Florida so roads are relatively flat, when I park somewhere, I do not rip up on the parking brake. Although when I park at home my driveway has a slight grade to it and the Jeep will roll unless the parking brake is fully engaged so I tug up on it pretty good. I will usually leave in gear when parked at home for fear the break will give and my Jeep will roll into the street.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading this post and have a great day, I look forward to spending a good deal of time on this website!

http://www.wranglerforum.com/report.php?p=2943546 http://www.wranglerforum.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=2943546
You said front two wheels were smelling burnt.. Typo? Your parking brake is in the rear brake system. Front brakes burning could be a hanging caliper or you just need to bleed the brake lines. Rear brake houses the e-brake. You might just need to adjust the e-brake. Maybe it is too tight to the inside causing it to burn up. Check for any glassy spots on the pads. Pads can glaze over due to heat causing decreased stopping power or hold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the advice. This morning I got in to my JK and it seems the problem may have corrected itself. I got into JK, left it in neutral and it rolled back out of the driveway with no resistance where as last night it would roll slightly then grind to a halt. A few days ago my "esp/bas" light in dash cluster came on and went off within about 10 minutes, wondering if these 2 issues could be related?

·
Registered
196 Posts
If it's the two front wheels it could be a brake caliper hanging up. If the problem persists get it checked out. High heat will glaze over the pads. They won't stop very well one glazed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I certainly plan on getting it checked out, but stopping isnt the problem. It's almost the complete opposite, it (was) as if the brakes were slightly engaged while I drove. For instance, I was stopped at a red light, I released the clutch slowly to creep forward but I was getting resistance and the JK nearly stalled. Also, when coasting towards an intersection the JK was slowing down more than normal and was not gliding out as it normally does. I drove around town a few times already today and have not noticed anything out of the ordinary, the JK is performing fine, no grinding to a stop, no burning smell coming from the front wheels etc... The last thing I want to do is bring it back to the dealer for a diagnostic. Does anyone know of a good Jeep mechanic in the West Palm Beach, Fl area?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.