Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the subject line's a little false, been down quite a bit actually. Movin down here in a couple weeks to the Waco area.

Now to the point..

I'm doin an engine swap this fall in my Tj, to a 2002 4.0 with NV3550. Gonna be lookin for a few parts while I do it.

Can anyone direct me to good Jeep junkyards that may have 4.0 parts?

Also, as soon as that's done I wanna wheel it! Who wants to show me around a bit? I'm runnin 4 inches of lift with 33x12.5 and an Engo 10K.

Thanks,

Jared

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
Can't help ya with the pick yards, but I can say welcome to Texas. There is always groups getting together to go to Hidden falls, but that would be a bit of a drive for you.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can't help ya with the pick yards, but I can say welcome to Texas. There is always groups getting together to go to Hidden falls, but that would be a bit of a drive for you.
Thanks man. I'll let everyone know once I move my stuff n Jeep n all. Maybe y'all will have parts layin around I could snag from someone.

Thanks again,

Jared

·
Registered
858 Posts
ATX/SA is sure to have a lot of salvage yards. Quite a few in the DFW area as well. I'm sure you can find some

·
Registered
568 Posts
Welcome! LOTS of clubs in Texas to be a part of, s finding people to wheel with is no problem. We live in Belton but I commute to Waco every day. :)

Not sure about good pick n pulls for jeep parts but there is a pretty big one off of 190 going towards Killeen. About 45 min from Waco.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ATX/SA is sure to have a lot of salvage yards. Quite a few in the DFW area as well. I'm sure you can find some
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Welcome! LOTS of clubs in Texas to be a part of, s finding people to wheel with is no problem. We live in Belton but I commute to Waco every day. :)

Not sure about good pick n pulls for jeep parts but there is a pretty big one off of 190 going towards Killeen. About 45 min from Waco.
Awesome, thanks! I actually came to Texas 2 years ago to buy my Tj since we have rust issues up here in Pa so it's basically a homecoming for my girl. Lookin' forward to meetin' y'all and wheeling with a different bunch. I'm used to mud, hill climbs, long trails, and rocks. Hopefully you'll have somethin like it!

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
Welcome to Texas the greatest state in the nation. Jeep girl has a club for military folks I believe and there is also TX4wd and tons of others. Waco Pick and Pull is going to be a challenge other than the one off 190. Houston Austin and San Antonio wil offer more. Tell the baby welcome back home.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Awesome, thanks! I actually came to Texas 2 years ago to buy my Tj since we have rust issues up here in Pa so it's basically a homecoming for my girl. Lookin' forward to meetin' y'all and wheeling with a different bunch. I'm used to mud, hill climbs, long trails, and rocks. Hopefully you'll have somethin like it!
Well we definitely have all of that, although Texas has pretty much ZERO public land. You will have to drive a couple hours and pay money to wheel. There is a Jeep group in the Waco area that knows a guy with private land who allows only their club to wheel... (PM to follow regarding that.) Otherwise, you best options for wheeling are Hidden Falls (Marble Falls, Tx), Bridgeport OHV (NW of Fort Worth), Rock Trails of Tolar (Closest to Waco), Long's Ranch, Canyon's Off road park (bit of a drive... probably 3-4 hours), and a couple others. I am actually petitioning Fort Hood right now trying to get them to reopen the training areas for offroading too.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Welcome to Texas the greatest state in the nation. Jeep girl has a club for military folks I believe and there is also TX4wd and tons of others. Waco Pick and Pull is going to be a challenge other than the one off 190. Houston Austin and San Antonio wil offer more. Tell the baby welcome back home.
Thanks, I'm a little partial to Pa bein the greatest state but I'm yet to find somethin I don't like about Texas.. side from the heat and lack of snow!

I got my Jeep in the Temple/Killeen area from a Terry Johnson. Anyone know of him?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
My older brother was born and raised in Bear Lake PA, I turned out to be the smarter better looking and just all around better brother. Maybe it was the heat maybe its the water but Texas is the place for me.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Since the thread is here, I won't start another one...I'm moving to the Alpine/Marfa area the end of August from Michigan. I was at Lackland for a few months of training in the 90's, fell in love with the Lonestar State and have been trying to get back since. I've found West Texas Creepers club on Facebook but nothing else so far. Anyway, I'll be there next month and looking forward to it!

·
Registered
6,208 Posts
Dont forget to check the part out section, last I checked there were 497560 TJ's getting parted out. probably a few in your area!

oh yea, welcome to Texas!

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Gotta question of matter of opinion for y'all. I have a hard top and soft top for my Tj.. Do you think I'll want my hard top down there? I can sell it for around $500 up here or throw it on and haul it down there..

I jus, I can't see it gettin cold enough down there I'll want it. I'm used to workin outside in 10 or below so..

Jus figured I'd ask opinions, my 75 yr old uncle has one on his Tj and says I'll want it.. Haha

·
Registered
568 Posts
I had a soft top through winter and it was just fine.

My husband has a hard top and really its only redeeming factor is convenience in loading/unloading stuff from the back.

The hard top stays a little cooler in the summer too.

·
Registered
6,033 Posts
I just bought a hardtop for the month or so of chilly weather. You can always sell it once you get here if you decide you don't need it.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If I were to bring my hardtop down, any interest? It's from a 98 Tj. Black with a small chip and crack near the passenger rear glass.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
Jus figured I'd ask opinions, my 75 yr old uncle has one on his Tj and says I'll want it.. Haha
I agree with your uncle!! It depends on what area of TX you are in, but it can totally get to -10... And the -10 feels different in different parts of TX (humidity). But if you are needing the $ sell it. Try a winter, worst case scenario you have to buy another one :)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I agree with your uncle!! It depends on what area of TX you are in, but it can totally get to -10... And the -10 feels different in different parts of TX (humidity). But if you are needing the $ sell it. Try a winter, worst case scenario you have to buy another one :)
That's true.. I intend to use the money to fund the rest of the parts I need for the 4.0 swap I'm about to do. I only need driveshafts, ECM, and wiring harness.

·
Registered
876 Posts
So the subject line's a little false, been down quite a bit actually. Movin down here in a couple weeks to the Waco area.

Now to the point..

I'm doin an engine swap this fall in my Tj, to a 2002 4.0 with NV3550. Gonna be lookin for a few parts while I do it.

Can anyone direct me to good Jeep junkyards that may have 4.0 parts?

Also, as soon as that's done I wanna wheel it! Who wants to show me around a bit? I'm runnin 4 inches of lift with 33x12.5 and an Engo 10K.

Thanks,

Jared
LKQ is a customer of mine and I'm not sure they have Jeep Parts. They have many locations, but none are for Jeep as far as I know. However being in outside sales I know where all of them are.

Depending on where you live, Grand Prairie has a Mopar yard on Jefferson, Kennedale has one on business 287, and Haltom City has one off Carson and 121. Carson dead ends to that street going south off 121. Also if you think you are going to get a good price you may be disappointed. Most of them get 2/3rd's of new.

50 Something

1 - 20 of 26 Posts