Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My name is Stephen. I just moved to the Tempe/Scottsdale area from Portland Oregon. I am looking for a group of jeeps to go offroading with. My jeep should be arriving in Arizona on the week of March 23rd and was hoping to go find some trails to run on March 28th. My jeep is a 1994 Cherokee with a 4.5" lift, 33" tires, ARB lockers front and rear and the required body protection. I know this a Wrangler forum but back in Oregon this forum was way more active then the jeep forum. Let me know if anyone is interested in making a run and has any suggestions.

Thank you,
Stephen

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Welcome Stephen! I see you also joined up on Virtual Jeep Club - that is perhaps the largest Jeep club in the valley so you should have no shortage of folks to run with. If no one here on WF takes you up on the date, you can post up a run thread on VJC as well and I am sure folks would join you. (Many or even most of the folks in Phoenix area that are on here belong to VJC as well.) Since you are new to Arizona, I would suggest Crown King. Every obstacle has a bypass, and some of the obstacles can be challenging - but you can always bypass of you arent comfortable with one. And some pretty Arizona scenery - take a camera!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Stephen,

Welcome to the valley! There are lots of trails to run around the Phoenix area and elsewhere in the state for that matter. My jeep is fairly stock, so my wife and I tend to just go alone on the 'easy' trails with our dogs. I'd like to join a club but I think that we would be more of a hindrance than a help. :(

Here is a site that gives good trail descriptions, maps, pictures, and GPS waypoints for lots of runs in AZ. He is from Tucson, so the majority of his trails are south of Phoenix but there are also some that are north or east of phoenix. On his newer trail runs you can download a .gpx file for your Garmin while his older runs just give you a tab delimited text file, so you have to manually build your waypoint list for the run. What to do in Az - Experience AZ 4WD Adventures

This is another site for trail descriptions. http://azoffroading.com/arizona-trails/ Their trails are in .kml format (Google Earth) but you can download the kml and then import the kml into the Garmin Basecamp program to make a .gpx file to send to your garmin.

While not necessary, especially with a club, you may want to get this book Guide to Arizona Backroads & 4-Wheel-Drive Trails 2nd Edition: Charles A. Wells, Matt Peterson, Shelley Mayer: 9781934838198: Amazon.com: Books
I saw it at the Desert Rat store in Mesa, so you can browse it before you buy it. (Desert Rat is a 4x4 parts store and there is also one in Tempe.)

If you want some of the files that I have already done, just PM me and we will do something to get them to you.

Happy Trails,

Bob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts