Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all - I've searched and searched and can't find anything here about how to convert '89 YJ headlights to LED. Maybe I'm not using the right wording in the search engine. Any pointers? Or has anyone solved whether there is an inexpensive conversion kit that would fit an '89 YJ? (Autozone and several other shops say "There are plenty of $40 conversion kits on line but we don't sell them here"...

·
Premium Member
603 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,647 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Oatmobile,

There's a reason that they don't sell the $40.00 LED headlights.

I suggest you go to a reputable online seller such as Quadratec or Morris 4X4 (vendors on this forum) and look at the selection that they offer.
The least expensive LED headlights that Quadratec offers are $300.00 closeouts.

If you live in an area that gets snow and sleet, be advised that LED headlights don't produce enough heat to prevent sleet and snow from building up on the lens and diminishing the ability of the headlight to safely illuminate the highway.
Heated LED headlights prevent this but cost more.

The biggest bang for your headlight dollar are H4 conversions. Along with the H4 conversion kit, you'll need an aftermarket headlight harness.
You can buy DOT (US approved) or E-Code (European approved) H4 conversions.
The DOT are legal for US use. The E-Code lights, not so much. The E-Code lights are reputed to give a better light pattern.

·
Premium Member
766 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Oatmobile,

There's a reason that they don't sell the $40.00 LED headlights.

I suggest you go to a reputable online seller such as Quadratec or Morris 4X4 (vendors on this forum) and look at the selection that they offer.
The least expensive LED headlights that Quadratec offers are $300.00 closeouts.

If you live in an area that gets snow and sleet, be advised that LED headlights don't produce enough heat to prevent sleet and snow from building up on the lens and diminishing the ability of the headlight to safely illuminate the highway.
Heated LED headlights prevent this but cost more.

The biggest bang for your headlight dollar are H4 conversions. Along with the H4 conversion kit, you'll need an aftermarket headlight harness.
You can buy DOT (US approved) or E-Code (European approved) H4 conversions.
The DOT are legal for US use. The E-Code lights, not so much. The E-Code lights are reputed to give a better light pattern.
Agreed. I am an LED fan for all kinds of applications, as well as the more “modern” vehicles in my fleet, but I have run fluted lens Hella H4’s in virtually all of my restored or resto-mod vehicles since around 1980. Never a disappointment.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,702 Posts
I like the H4's ease of changeability, Not a fan of overly bright lights on the road, oncoming cars tick me off with them. Standard bulbs for street use, Superbrights for night runs, bulbs change in seconds.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I love my plug and play LED Head Lights and the rest of the set up on the jeep.... No issues no lack of light at night...

The head lights I got on amazon.... had great reviews and are very bright!! Just added the 3" windshield mount LED's as well

Attachments

Reactions: SoCalC101CJYJTJ

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have the Hella E codes with Hella 100/130 watt bulbs. On low beam, 100 watt, they are not offensive as one would think. The E code lens have a great light pattern and have a sharp cut off on low beam so that is probably why the are not obnoxious to on coming traffic.

Reactions: dukcaln

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have the Hella E codes with Hella 100/130 watt bulbs. On low beam, 100 watt, they are not offensive as one would think. The E code lens have a great light pattern and have a sharp cut off on low beam so that is probably why the are not obnoxious to on coming traffic.
I need to angle mine down some, they are bright even on low beam.... I thought of getting the ones you have.....

I also thought I was going to go with the same set up as SoCalCJ...... Like the old school look as well

·
Registered
800 Posts
You would like them

Attachments

·
Registered
4,178 Posts
I have Hella E codes, you get what you pay for with chinese LED's

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have Hella E codes, you get what you pay for with chinese LED's
That can be true for some and not true for others...... all depends on which ones you get, and part luck.... for me I have had great success with the ones I have.... had them on ATVs and other vehicles and many local friends as well..... but completely understand your statement....

·
Registered
639 Posts
You would like them
I tell you what, your right.... and if I decide to switch directions and change it up, I will go that route for sure....

Looks great!

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
Another vote... I have hella e codes with phillips extreme 130 plus (legal wattage) in two jeeps and just about every jeeper that has ridden in one at night has gone out and bought the same... I have led's all over my vehicles but for headlights I wouldn't want them

·
Registered
2,681 Posts

·
Sponsoring Vendor
2,517 Posts
Hi all - I've searched and searched and can't find anything here about how to convert '89 YJ headlights to LED. Maybe I'm not using the right wording in the search engine. Any pointers? Or has anyone solved whether there is an inexpensive conversion kit that would fit an '89 YJ? (Autozone and several other shops say "There are plenty of $40 conversion kits on line but we don't sell them here"...

Hey,

Welcome to the forum!

Here are the LED kits that we offer: https://www.quadratec.com/categories/lighting_lenses_bulbs/headlights/led-headlights

Just choose your Jeep from the drop down menu.

I recommend our projector LED lights:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/led-projector-beam-headlamps-jeep-cherokee-xj-wrangler-yj

If you are in an area with snow and sleet I would recommend the Heated version:

https://www.quadratec.com/p/quadratec/heated-led-projector-beam-headlamps-jeep-cherokee-xj-wrangler-yj

There are also some Jw speaker LED headlights as well:

https://www.quadratec.com/products/97009_803X_PG.htm

We do also offer a forum discount for forum members. If you would like to PM me with a part number you are interested in I can get you a discounted quote.

Thank you,
Hailey

·
Registered
451 Posts
Not to dissuade you from the LED's if that's what you want, but I got to put in my vote for the Hella e-codes as well. And I'm still using the stock bulbs that came with them. I figured I'd get some use out of them before doing the upgrade to the upgrade. :D

Reactions: agalloch07

·
Registered
908 Posts
Subscribed.....Have never driven my jeep after dark, but if I ever do good info here.
Just to be a pain in the _ _ _ if you don't drive in the dark why did you put all those dang lights on it? LoL

1 - 20 of 31 Posts