Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i'm new to the forum, as well as the wrangler. I have a teenager who will be turning 16 in a little over a year and has expressed interest in Wranglers. Now i would like to as much research as possible before committing to it so i figure nobody better to ask than the owners. So is there any one year better than the other, any other sites to look towards for info? Also i would like some estimation on gas milage. I drive a gas guzzling F150 4x4 and my wife a full size SUV so its not like we are doing the our part to save the environment just trying to get an idea of "true cost to own". Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
welcome, gas mileage isn't any better in the 4 cyl than 6. 6 cyl is a great engine. what type of money are you wanting to spend. you can find nice yj wranglers yrs, 87-95 for $2000-$5000, i'd recommend 91 or later for the fuel injection. after that is the tj wrangler.

you're gonna be spending money cuz its addictive and fun to work on. they are very reliable, and great vehicles. good luck

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
What area are you in? We might have some more sources for you to check out in your area and know of issues show up in that environment. A wrangler would be good motivation for him to keep going to work---there is always something we want to buy for our rigs :wavey:

BTW my Jeep was my only vehicle and daily driver for 3-4 years

·
Registered
70 Posts
First off, Welcome to the forum!

Check out this website. After I found out my Jeep get better gas mileage that my Z-71 I got it registered, tagged, and insured asap. I'd look into one with a 4.0L engine. 2.5 is good on gas, but when it comes to lift and slightly bigger tires it's always nice to have a little bit more horsepower and torque under you. I'm looking into swaping mine out as soon as I find a 4.0L for sale locally.

Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Welcome and I have owned both a YJ and a TJ and to say the least I prefer the YJ. But the others are correct, it depends on where you live and what to look for - Example colder areas look for frame/ undercarriage rust from salt etc. Also along the coasts for the same reason. If it was well maintained it won't be a problem. The jeep motors were good ,again if they were maintained and yes Jeeps are addicting -you may find yourself wanting to drive it ( top down you can't beat it for summer fun). Good luck and for any specifics there are some great people on here for info. Let us know your progress.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey thanks for the input guys, i have done a search and read a few threads about what to look for but additional input is always welcome. I'm in the Houston area so i'm sure there are plenty of places to look. I am very early on in the search so i havent nailed down a price range yet. But I didn't mention Crafty, but "him" is a "her" so that may play into some of the decision. As of now i dont see her wanting a big lift and tires, but dad on the other hand.... So in short Houston doesnt have much of a winter, about two weeks worth lol but the summers are extremly sticky and often rainey this time of year.

·
Registered
8,162 Posts
oh man, there's a lot of great jeeps in texas. let us know how the search is goin.

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
As of now i dont see her wanting a big lift and tires, but dad on the other hand.... So in short Houston doesnt have much of a winter, about two weeks worth lol but the summers are extremly sticky and often rainey this time of year.
That is the first time somebody got me :doh: Don't assume a female won't go for a lift and tires. There are a few of us Jeep women on here.

·
Registered
925 Posts
hell, crafty's got a bigger jeep than i do... and i'm not ashamed to admit it. haha

hopefully mine will be as big as hers one day...................(haha that sounds funny)

·
Registered
316 Posts
hopefully mine will be as big as hers one day...................(haha that sounds funny)[/QUOTE]

you just have a little growing to do, its ok me too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok i'm new to the forum, as well as the wrangler. I have a teenager who will be turning 16 in a little over a year and has expressed interest in Wranglers. Now i would like to as much research as possible before committing to it so i figure nobody better to ask than the owners. So is there any one year better than the other, any other sites to look towards for info? Also i would like some estimation on gas milage. I drive a gas guzzling F150 4x4 and my wife a full size SUV so its not like we are doing the our part to save the environment just trying to get an idea of "true cost to own". Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated!
I'm in the same situation! We're considering a used Wrangler as a third vehicle as my daughter approaches 16. I too have an F150 and my wife a Honda Pilot. We're in Michigan, though where the salty roads are so unkind to our vehicles!

I read in Consumer Reports that Wranglers have problematic transmissions. Is that true? Is there reliability difference between automatic and manual?

Thanks in advance. This is going to be fun! :D

·
Premium Member
1,670 Posts
What year were you looking at? It might be harder for you to find a good YJ up to 1995 in Michigan due to the rust issue you already mentioned. If you are looking at a TJ 97+, I know the automatics don't like getting submerged. But post in their forum for more input on that model. :wavey:

·
Administrator
12,548 Posts
1st welcome, 2nd consumer reports hates jeeps.. so take what they say with a several grains of salt. As for any jeep, how good or bad it is depends on how well it was taken care of. If you don't have a good feeling about it, walk away, there will be another one.

The auto tranny's are very good units, on the YJ's and TJ's with most going well over 100k miles, again if taken care of. The 5spd also well over 100k. T-case is for the most part bomb proof. Bottom line you will hear more good than bad about jeeps. They are also a safe car. I was hit by a semi truck at 45mph and walked away, jeep didn't make it, but I was fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts