Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. Just bought a 2015 jku and I'm about a couple weeks into learning about off roading. I never really went off roading but I know I'm in love with it and want to go as soon as possible. I live in Chicago so I plan on hitting the Indiana dunes over the summer. What I definitely know that I want is... 3.5" lift with 35s or 37s and I will be buying the front and rear after market bumpers (metal) and also love the armor from xrc so I plan on getting those all around as well, but that's a lot of added weight. So with all that in mind what I'm looking for is a beginners off road lift kit but nothing too noobish cuz I definitely learn quick and I'll wanna go onto better trails, but I don't think I'll be doing any rock climbing anytime soon. The car will also be my daily as well.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Hi all. Just bought a 2015 jku and I'm about a couple weeks into learning about off roading. I never really went off roading but I know I'm in love with it and want to go as soon as possible. I live in Chicago so I plan on hitting the Indiana dunes over the summer. What I definitely know that I want is... 3.5" lift with 35s or 37s and I will be buying the front and rear after market bumpers (metal) and also love the armor from xrc so I plan on getting those all around as well, but that's a lot of added weight. So with all that in mind what I'm looking for is a beginners off road lift kit but nothing too noobish cuz I definitely learn quick and I'll wanna go onto better trails, but I don't think I'll be doing any rock climbing anytime soon. The car will also be my daily as well.
Welcome to the Jeep Life! I'll share the great advice I got when I joined and was looking to build my Jeep. Decide what you need your Jeep to do for you, and put together a comprehensive build plan. Understand that as your experience goes, that plan will evolve(think stock to 35's-37's, etc.). Things like the lift, you want to get right the first time. Don't skimp on money there, the lift will have a huge impact on wether you improve or degrade the performance characteristics of your Jeep. Research, research, and more research:happyyes: Best of luck with your build!

-Steven

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the Jeep Life! I'll share the great advice I got when I joined and was looking to build my Jeep. Decide what you need your Jeep to do for you, and put together a comprehensive build plan. Understand that as your experience goes, that plan will evolve(think stock to 35's-37's, etc.). Things like the lift, you want to get right the first time. Don't skimp on money there, the lift will have a huge impact on wether you improve or degrade the performance characteristics of your Jeep. Research, research, and more research
Best of luck with your build!

-Steven

Thanks Steven. I know I definitely want a lift kit that is good quality, but nothing too pricey. I've heard nothing but good from Teraflex. I have been looking into the 3" kit from teraflex along with 35's. Saw a good deal on 4wd.com for bf goodrich AT for $180 per tire. Would you possibly know if I would have to do anything to my driveshaft or axles if I go with the 3" lift and 35's ?

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Thanks Steven. I know I definitely want a lift kit that is good quality, but nothing too pricey. I've heard nothing but good from Teraflex. I have been looking into the 3" kit from teraflex along with 35's. Saw a good deal on 4wd.com for bf goodrich AT for $180 per tire. Would you possibly know if I would have to do anything to my driveshaft or axles if I go with the 3" lift and 35's ?
Glad to help, or at least try to! TeraFlex is good quality and I know from personal experience, that will back their products. Which 3" lift are you looking at, the 1156300? I like the idea of having the 8 control arms for adjustability.

You can run your stock driveshafts. They recommend either the exhaust spacer kit or a Y-Pipe. What we are talking about here is the front stock driveshaft will (at full droop) come in contact with the exhaust cross over and damage the driveshaft cover. This will lead to early driveshaft failure. If you are mostly street driven(no full flex on the trails), you can address the front driveshaft down the road.

Do you have the Dana 30 front axle? Lot's of guys run 35's with the D30 with no issues. Axles can be reinforced as well. Spend some time reading on these topics, it will help it make a little more sense.

-Steven

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to help, or at least try to! TeraFlex is good quality and I know from personal experience, that will back their products. Which 3" lift are you looking at, the 1156300? I like the idea of having the 8 control arms for adjustability.

You can run your stock driveshafts. They recommend either the exhaust spacer kit or a Y-Pipe. What we are talking about here is the front stock driveshaft will (at full droop) come in contact with the exhaust cross over and damage the driveshaft cover. This will lead to early driveshaft failure. If you are mostly street driven(no full flex on the trails), you can address the front driveshaft down the road.

Do you have the Dana 30 front axle? Lot's of guys run 35's with the D30 with no issues. Axles can be reinforced as well. Spend some time reading on these topics, it will help it make a little more sense.

-Steven

Ya I came across 1156300 but I was also wondering what is the difference between those and the ones with the 9550 shocks? As for my axles, I haven't done anything to them. Fully stock, if that helps. I'm trying to find a guide to all of this but it isn't working out so well lol. All of this is new to me. I'm coming from the European car street racing scene so I really have no idea what even the slightest terminology in this new world is hahah.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Ya I came across 1156300 but I was also wondering what is the difference between those and the ones with the 9550 shocks? As for my axles, I haven't done anything to them. Fully stock, if that helps. I'm trying to find a guide to all of this but it isn't working out so well lol. All of this is new to me. I'm coming from the European car street racing scene so I really have no idea what even the slightest terminology in this new world is hahah.
I here ya, I started from a similar place.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html

This should help get you familiar with what you are/will be doing, and how the suspensions work and need to be set-up on a lifted Jeep.

Sizing shocks with the lift you buy is helpful, as it will allow you to take advantage of the full travel of the new lift. The stock shocks will most likely limit travel. I would also consider adding the shocks. I hear the 9550's are good, and TeraFlex will have tuned them for the lift.

-Steven

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I here ya, I started from a similar place.

Take a look at this thread: http://www.wranglerforum.com/f202/beginners-guide-to-lifting-your-jk-298665.html

This should help get you familiar with what you are/will be doing, and how the suspensions work and need to be set-up on a lifted Jeep.

Sizing shocks with the lift you buy is helpful, as it will allow you to take advantage of the full travel of the new lift. The stock shocks will most likely limit travel. I would also consider adding the shocks. I hear the 9550's are good, and TeraFlex will have tuned them for the lift.

-Steven

Ok awesome. I've also been seeing a lot lately those jeep where the whole axle/control arm can be lifted on one side. You know the ones where the other jeeps lift on top of another jeep's tires? What lift would that be? Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
3,075 Posts
Ok awesome. I've also been seeing a lot lately those jeep where the whole axle/control arm can be lifted on one side. You know the ones where the other jeeps lift on top of another jeep's tires? What lift would that be? Thanks a lot for your help, I really appreciate it.
I think you are describing what is known as articulation. The ability of the axles to move freely and independently of each other. This is crucial/desirable for off road.

You're in a good place looking at TeraFlex. Also look at MetalCloak and Rock Krawler as well. TeraFlex is great about picking up the phone and answering any questions. Spend a little money and buy a well thought out suspension. Good luck with your choice!

-Steven

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think you are describing what is known as articulation. The ability of the axles to move freely and independently of each other. This is crucial/desirable for off road.

You're in a good place looking at TeraFlex. Also look at MetalCloak and Rock Krawler as well. TeraFlex is great about picking up the phone and answering any questions. Spend a little money and buy a well thought out suspension. Good luck with your choice!

-Steven

Thank you. Really appreciate your info.

·
Super Moderator
14,528 Posts
To do a tire climb on a decent size tire you have to have a fair amount of articulation. That comes with springs that have a longer free length and also longer shocks... The Teraflex 9550's are on the short side.

Check out the Metalcloak lifts.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts