Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I just recently purchased a 2010 JKU Sahara. I'm ready to start putting a few mods on it.

As someone that is cognazant of how much I spent on the vehicle, I'm not going to put it in very tough situations, but I would like some light to medium off-road capabilities.

I'm mainly looking for an effective lift with a wheel and tire combo on a budget - but also not trying to compromise the Jeep.

I've gathered that 35s look the best, and I'm looking at an 18" wheel. I'm a fan of the black XDs, but am open to other solid black wheels with an aggressive looking tire (I like the Trail Grapplers, but the Lexani Mud Beast seems to be more reasonably priced).

And then I need a lift that will allow me to run these tires. As I said before, since I will be using it mostly as a daily driver with some medium off-road stuff, I don't need the most extravagant lift. I've read over the forum that some people can run 35s with a 1.5" lift and some go bigger.

My JKU is the black Sahara. So if anyone has any input (and maybe pictures) with estimates on pricing, I would be grateful.

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
Welcome! If you are just basically looking for clearance, a puck lift would work, and will be very budget friendly (couple hundred bucks iirc). Low maintenance, less pieces parts to mess with. You can do decent stuff even with 33 inch tires - more DD friendly as well as budget friendly. With the 3.8 engine, you should definitely be looking at a regear at anything over stock size. A regear will run $1-2k.

17 or 16 inch rims are definitely preferred for offroad. Trail Grapplers are heavy and aggressive - look for something like Duratracs, lighter, more street friendly and still capable Offroad.

For 35s, look at axle reinforcing, especially the front, and c gussets.

·
Administrator
16,992 Posts
For a build on a budget I'll also recommend you consider 33's and a level kit/puck lift. I wouldn't go larger with the 3.8 motor without a regear, which gets expensive.

My best friend runs that combo on his Jeep and I think it looks great.

Anywho :welcome: :wavey:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies.

With your advice, I'm trying to look away from 35s. I guess it's all dependent on how large the lift is.

So would basic bolt on lift (pucks) work best? Is there a recommendation on brand? I'm new to this, but stumbled upon a Rough Country.

·
Jeeper
1,307 Posts
Puck lifts aren't really bolt on, more like snap on. I'm not trying to be an ass - but what I mean is that it's easier than bolt on.

A stock Rubicon comes with 32" wheels, so 33" wheels are still pretty close to stock. RC's puck lift works well. Teraflex has one too.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's not being an ass.. I'm definitely learning as I go. Should I look into also adding wheel spacers? I understand what they are, but would that help it at all (or even look better/worse)?

·
Registered
387 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I also have a 2010 Sahara that is mostly a DD but does just fine for beach driving and having a little fun. I have the teraflex leveling kit (2"pucks in front 1" in rear) and added bilstein 5100's. also, i dropped down to a 15" wheel from the stock 18's. The 33x12.5x15 duratracs are a very popular size on here and i have been very happy with them. With the backspacing on the lvl8 trackers no wheel spacers were necessary. Mine has 3.73 gears and while i wont kill anyone off the line it moves around just fine with that wheel/tire combo.

Good luck. Most importantly look around on the forum, ask questions, and ultimately do whatever makes you happy- thats what owning a Jeep is all about

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
8,238 Posts
That's not being an ass.. I'm definitely learning as I go. Should I look into also adding wheel spacers? I understand what they are, but would that help it at all (or even look better/worse)?
Any of the puck lifts will generally be decent - even Rough Country gets some love on these. I am avoiding wheel spacers. Sure lots of folks run them, but you are just injecting an unnecessary failure point, and I cant think of any good reason I would want to do this. Of course, ymmv.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I purchased five XD778 and Duratracs at 275/70/18. They are a hair larger than 33s. I really haven't felt much in regards to takeoff and losing power.

That said, on full-turn they do rub a little. I'm looking a couple of different lifts. I've considered the RC 2.5" puck lift or maybe the Teraflex 2.5" coil lift. I live in a larger city so offroading only happens when I leave town... so maybe once a month aND it isn't too rough, but I still want to be able to keep up with others. To accomplish my desired height, what set-up would you recommend? And with either set-up, what additional pieces will I need (track bar, exhaust spacer, etc)

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts