Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a 97 TJ 4.0 automatic tomorrow morning. I am sure it has some issues but cannot do anything with it until I get it home. The big problem is a lack of keys. Can anyone tell me what I will have to do to get it towed home????? I cannot trailer it so its on a strap or chain to get it moved.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Sounds odd to buy anything without even starting it and listening to it run. How do you know anything works at all? And you think the big problem is the lack of keys. :nonono:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks for all the BS comments. The price is very low. I don't think it is hurt very badly I just need to get it here to check things out. There is a title and the lady has a spare key, its about 2000 miles away. So no more BS. What is the best route to toe it home.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I'm a little confused. You said the you want it towed home. So how would "call a tow truck" be a BS answer? A rollback tow truck with wheel dollys could move this for you in a heartbeat.

Or are you looking for more of a DIY towing option?

Knowing which you are looking for will make a difference in peoples responses.

·
Commercial Member
5,792 Posts
Hey thanks for all the BS comments. The price is very low. I don't think it is hurt very badly I just need to get it here to check things out. There is a title and the lady has a spare key, its about 2000 miles away. So no more BS. What is the best route to toe it home.
If she has a spare key then why not drive it home? I suppose you could rent a uhaul truck with a car dolly. If this too is BS then please let me know and I will ignore your thread from here on out.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
If you're gonna flat tow I'd look into getting tow bar. That's a LONG way to tow with a strap or chain & would require two people. You could also rent a tow dolly, but I believe you have to unhook the rear drive shaft before towing (not hard though)

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
2000 miles is a long way to tow anything with a strap or chain.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Are you buying a car that isn't even running? Unless you are a skilled mechanic, this is a very bad choice. It doesn't sound to me like you are a skilled mechanic, because you would have inspected it, and would know some things before you took it away. One thing you would notice as a mechanic, skilled or not, is whether the car has a lot of rust.

If the car isn't even running, you don't know if the engine is completely bad, weather the tranny is bad, whether the brakes are bad, whether the air conditioning is bad..etc.

Please at least tell me, that you used that spare key and you test drove it. I don't understand that if there is a spare key, why you have it have it towed?

This whole scenario just sounds wacky. Excuse me, if you don't like my reply, or you think I am BS'ing you. I am just being honest.

You have no idea what you will have to do to it to get it to pass inspection.

From what I've heard, unless the car is $300.00, and you are a skilled mechanic, I think this is a bad purchase.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK I can do most anything hat might need to b done to the Jeep. It will be towed about 8 miles, the spare key is in Texas the Jeep is right down the road from my house. Do I need to unhook both drive shafts to tow it home with a chain?????????????? The YJ forum is not this hard on a new guy.................I only nee some advice here........ Let me pull your motor and rebuild it for you it will run like new. Wanna lift installed give me a holler I can do it.
Just bit of help is needed right now. I get the Jeep tomorrow in the AM.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
OK I can do most anything hat might need to b done to the Jeep. It will be towed about 8 miles, the spare key is in Texas the Jeep is right down the road from my house. Do I need to unhook both drive shafts to tow it home with a chain?????????????? The YJ forum is not this hard on a new guy.................I only nee some advice here........ Let me pull your motor and rebuild it for you it will run like new. Wanna lift installed give me a holler I can do it.
Just bit of help is needed right now. I get the Jeep tomorrow in the AM.
Personally I think people are not being hard on you. People ask this forum all the time about opinions and knowledge over a potential buy. Again personally I would never buy something I havnt driven and tested out, but to each their own. Like others have said you can rent a dolly or trailer. I would not tow and vehicle with a chain or rope over 10-20 miles. Its takes a lot of cordination between two people to pull that off. There has already been links provided about flat towing a Jeep if you want to go that route.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
You don't need to unhook the drive shaft for a flat tow, only for a tow dolly. Put the TC in neutral & leave the transmission in gear for manual, or in park for an auto.

As far as BS, you can't expect to drop in here with some vague squirrely story that has changing details & not get flak. If you hadn't been around since 09 I'd call troll.

Good luck with your purchase & welcome to the TJ side. They ride much better than YJs:thumb:

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
You don't need to unhook the drive shaft for a flat tow, only for a tow dolly. Put the TC in neutral & leave the transmission in gear for manual, or in park for an auto.

As far as BS, you can't expect to drop in here with some vague squirrely story that has changing details & not get flak. If you hadn't been around since 09 I'd call troll.

Good luck with your purchase & welcome to the TJ side. They ride much better than YJs:thumb:
All true. Plus if your steering wheel is locked your screwed. Have to turn key to unlock and leave in ignition. Almost forgot to do it once. Gladly remembered after 5 feet.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I would get a tow bar hookup disconnect at the pitman are so it can follow the tow vehicle. Or have a locksmith pull out the ignition cylinder. Or overnight the key FedEx. Or drill out the lock(not suggested lots of damage can occur) overnighting the key I think is the best option. Good luck

1 - 20 of 27 Posts