Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this 1987 Laredo on a local lot on Saturday. Went over on Monday and did some extensive inspecting on it. No rust underneath at all. All looked great underneath. Went yesterday when they're open. Did the final inspection on it - drove it - bought it. Runs so smooth and drives really good. Ran auto check score on it. Came back excellent showing quite a bit of the maintenance done and a one owner vehicle. Very well taken care of. My guess garage kept. Paid 5500. Looks to be pretty much bone stock. Even the factory size 225-75-15 tires are on it I currently own a 13 jk Rubicon so this is a lot different than what I'm used to. Any user input on special tips and tricks on these classics would be helpful. Thanks YJ community.

·
Super Moderator
10,633 Posts
Looks like you scored!

If the Jeep is as clean as it looks, $5,500.00 is a good price for a 4cyl. If it's a 6cyl. you really got a deal. You've been on this forum long enough and have posted enough that I'm sure you know that.

The chrome and the stripes are a bit dated, but they work well together. For me, I wouldn't change anything about the vehicle unless it has a grey or black interior. Then I'd paint the hard top black.
Post some more pics so we all can appreciate your good fortune.

Good Luck, L.M.

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like you scored!

If the Jeep is as clean as it looks, $5,500.00 is a good price for a 4cyl. If it's a 6cyl. you really got a deal. You've been on this forum long enough and have posted enough that I'm sure you know that.

The chrome and the stripes are a bit dated, but they work well together. For me, I wouldn't change anything about the vehicle unless it has a grey or black interior. Then I'd paint the hard top black.
Post some more pics so we all can appreciate your good fortune.

Good Luck, L.M.
Yeah it's really clean

It's got the 4.2 in it. Automatic. Interior is the black faux leather jeep called it. Driver seat needs a little reupholstering. Got a local friend here that will do a great job on that. I was actually thinking of getting the hard top linex'd. They did an awesome job recently on my JK tub looks great.

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sound like you’ve got a year earlier version of my exact rig. What kind of mileage does it have? It looks like a killer find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
888 Posts
The chrome and the stripes are a bit dated, but they work well together.

Aw don’t hate the chrome! :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Here is my standard six-cylinder 1988 YJ that I purchased as you see it in 2010 for $5,500 with 215K on the odometer (tan hardtop not shown). And to think I had actually wanted a Harley-Davidson instead when i turned 40. Pffft...

In my three years of owning it, I only replaced the radio and carburetor and changed the oil regularly. It ran like brand new with the new carb and turned tons of heads. I regretfully sold it three years later with 240K for $5,500 and am still pissed at myself.

Now I'm on my 3rd JK since then, because the bug bit me so hard

Attachments

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sound like you’ve got a year earlier version of my exact rig. What kind of mileage does it have? It looks like a killer find.

It's got 93k on the ticker. It didn't last too long. Was put out Saturday gone on Tuesday. Would of been Monday but was a holiday

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is my standard six-cylinder 1988 YJ that I purchased as you see it in 2010 for $5,500 with 215K on the odometer (tan hardtop not shown). And to think I had actually wanted a Harley-Davidson instead when i turned 40. Pffft...

In my three years of owning it, I only replaced the radio and carburetor and changed the oil regularly. It ran like brand new with the new carb and turned tons of heads. I regretfully sold it three years later with 240K for $5,500 and am still pissed at myself.

Now I'm on my 3rd JK since then, because the bug bit me so hard
Very nice jeep. I see the stock tire size on the back. What size tires were running on the rig itself at the time of photo. Wow 7 years later for the same price i paid but with more miles. I'm really liking the deal I got.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very nice jeep. I see the stock tire size on the back. What size tires were running on the rig itself at the time of photo.
Thanks, brother. :thumb:

They were some BFGs equivalent to a 32" but I cannot recall the exact size of the tire. Also, for reference, the Jeep had no lift of any sort whatsoever.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I was literally in a bidding war with a spoiled teenager and his dad. I ended up paying the full asking price to seal the deal. Mine was purchased on e-bay motors and had lived its entire life on a AZ ranch so it had zero rust and perfect stone white paint, plus it had a frosty A/C, new seats, new roll bar pads, and an immaculate hardtop that had never been removed. It was worth every penny and then some.

Besides yours, I certainly haven't seen another Jeep offered for $5,500 lately worth buying.

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was literally in a bidding war with a spoiled teenager and his dad. I ended up paying the full asking price to seal the deal. Mine was purchased on e-bay motors and had lived its entire life on a AZ ranch so it had zero rust and perfect stone white paint, plus it had a frosty A/C, new seats, new roll bar pads, and an immaculate hardtop that had never been removed. It was worth every penny and then some.

Besides yours, I certainly haven't seen another Jeep offered for $5,500 lately worth buying.
Well that's good to know. The top on this one has never been removed either. Still has the stock size tires on it. I tried getting the build sheet on this and both of the Chrysler resources say it's too old and no records are available. They sent me a spec sheet on the YJ of this year. Was informational. I opened the glove box and there was a label affixed to the door stating that the rear was equipped with a limited slip. Never knew they did trac lock differentials on this year of vehicle.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I saw this 1987 Laredo on a local lot on Saturday. Went over on Monday and did some extensive inspecting on it. No rust underneath at all. All looked great underneath. Went yesterday when they're open. Did the final inspection on it - drove it - bought it. Runs so smooth and drives really good. Ran auto check score on it. Came back excellent showing quite a bit of the maintenance done and a one owner vehicle. Very well taken care of. My guess garage kept. Paid 5500. Looks to be pretty much bone stock. Even the factory size 225-75-15 tires are on it I currently own a 13 jk Rubicon so this is a lot different than what I'm used to. Any user input on special tips and tricks on these classics would be helpful. Thanks YJ community.

I have that exact Jeep only in a 5 speed and not that nice. I do have the original window sticker for it and it went for about $12700 new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have that exact Jeep only in a 5 speed and not that nice. I do have the original window sticker for it and it went for about $12700 new.

Cool. Wish I had the window sticker for this one. 30 years later now look at the prices. Granted the wranglers now have more electronics to them and more amenities. But these older ones are much easier to work on.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Cool. Wish I had the window sticker for this one. 30 years later now look at the prices. Granted the wranglers now have more electronics to them and more amenities. But these older ones are much easier to work on.

Mine is a Laredo like yours but probably real the only difference being your is auto and mine is manual. I you want I can message that sticker to you this evening for reference purposes.

·
Let the Jeepn Times Roll
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Mine is a Laredo like yours but probably real the only difference being your is auto and mine is manual. I you want I can message that sticker to you this evening for reference purposes.

That would be awesome. I'd like that. I'll pm you my info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts