Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just bought our first Jeep back in October. (2016 Jeep Unlimited Sahara straight drive). I do want a lift but not in a rush. I also want a soft top but again not in a rush. I am just curious on what most people do to modify their Jeeps first, and curious on the cost.

Thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
this is how I'm progression: 2" lift, bigger tyres 285's, wheel spacers 1.5"...
...next: front bumper, LED lights, head unit...

If you want to go with bigger tyres than 33's, you are into a much different set of requirements including regearing etc...

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Welcome to the club, We're searching for our jeep this weekend.. and we're going to keep it simple by using only Mopar parts or at least as much as possible. This doesn't include any small non-mechanical accessories. Depending on what wrangler we select, the possible upgraded or mild build can ranger anywhere from 3K - 7K. So to us it's important to get as much on the jeep the first time without breaking the back. We've located a couple possible build choices located within a few states from us. Though we're not ruling out having to order one.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Everyone starts differently to the things that are most important to them. The one thing that is common, is that once you start it never ends.

Personally, I started with interior mods until I learned more about the other available options and what I wanted/needed for tires/lift and created a mod upgrade path plan where things could be done in stages according to available budget. Additionally I wanted to avoid any mod regrets later in having to go back and redo a mod. So I do a lot of research before making a purchase decision.

So my mod path looks like this.

Tu-done mod list
1. Leather seats
2. Sound system upgrade
3. AGM battery
4. Fuel door cover
5. Big Brake kit
6. Lift
7. Front Steering, HD tie-rod, drag link and trackbar.
8. Front Bumper/winch
9. 35in/17in, Tires/wheels, Programmer
10. HD tire carrier
11. LED Lighting

Currently in process
12. on-board air

Tu-do mod list
13. Rear bumper
14. HD rock slider steps
15. HD ball joints, C-gussets
16. Axle re-gear and add front/rear limited slip differentials
17. LS engine swap
18. to be continued (Just Empty Every Pocket)

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
If you like the top off, be in a rush to get a soft top. The premium version, not the standard.

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
We just bought our first Jeep back in October. (2016 Jeep Unlimited Sahara straight drive). I do want a lift but not in a rush. I also want a soft top but again not in a rush. I am just curious on what most people do to modify their Jeeps first, and curious on the cost.

Thanks.
How you use your Jeep will dictate how you mod it. A person that wants a rock crawler is different than a person who wants a mall crawler and is different than a person who wants to overland. Can you tell us what you plan on using your Jeep for?

By defining how you intend to use your Jeep we can offer suggestions and experiences.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey! Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of great reviews/write-ups here that will help point you in the right direction for what you're looking to do. The "Soft-top Help!!!" sticky is great, loads of info on a wide spectrum of tops. The "Most popular lift on WF" was what helped me decided to go with the setup I have. You definitely can't go wrong with the community on this site. Glad to see you hear and happy Jeepin!

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Everybody's different.

I knew from prior experience that I would want a better sound system. Had it installed before I got home. New HU, speakers, a pre-amp and subwoofer.

My former JK was stolen, so I decided to lock this one down as much as possible. Car alarm, tracking system, hood lock, locking lug nuts and gas cap. Put on a trailer hitch.

Then turned my attention to some interior mods. Sold the back seat, then installed front seat and console covers (dog). Stuffed the recessed area behind the front seats with towels and laid down four overlapping mats to level it so the dog and I can sleep back there. Attached a shelf to the inside of the tailgate for storage and groceries.

Trimmed it up with matching grab handles, license plate frames, black stubby antennae, window sills, door recess and cowl covers and door sill guards. Prepared for summer by getting my soft top boot, window bag and mesh top and can't wait to use them. I also got a rack that attaches to my trailer hitch for when we go camping.

Debated long and hard on tire size. If you go 35s, there are a lot of expensive mods that have to be done in addition to just bigger tires. So I decided on 33s but will try to hold off getting them until my stock tires wear out. This allowed me to do a relatively inexpensive lift, the AEV 2" Spacer Suspension. I can keep my stock wheels and tire carrier when I do go to 33s plus no need to regear.

I'm now in the process of replacing my plastic bumpers with steel ones. Holding off on a winch until I need one, hopefully right before I need one, lol. New rear bumper won't need a tire carrier, saving a few bucks there.

After I put the bumpers on, I think I'm going to take a break and just drive.

And keep an eye out for Duratrac 33s on sale.

Welcome to the Forum and have fun dressing up your Jeep and making it your own.

·
Registered
791 Posts
With the hard top, if you want to "go topless" look at the SpiderWebShade Jkini and/or the best top freedom top replacement (cant remember the name, but theres a thread on here for a company called Webasto too).

I went personalization, protection, then lift.

I wanted to make Rebel stand out on his own, so I went seat covers, spiderwebshade, creature comforts.

Then I was a slight fender bender in LA, used that insurance money to upgrade front bumper to what I wanted.

I wanted bigger tires, but the factory KMs were "fine" until they wore out. Decided to go the size of tire I wanted then do the lift rather than lift then tires. Now that I have the shocks, lift, tires and protection Im happy. Now its time to enjoy.

Just remember, your tastes are your own. There is such a diverse aftermarket for that exact reason. Research, research, research. There are a few sites that have a way for you to build your jeep as you want and see how it is (look up outlaw jeep phoenix, he has a great simulator on his site).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Welcome to Jeep Universe!
What you choose really depends on what you determine your needs are.

'Needs' tend to fall in 2 large categories:

1) functional improvements
2) cosmetics/appearances

Sometimes the difference is a bit difficult to determine.

One way to make that cut, is to ask yourself whether your choice of mod will help you get back home from whatever adventure was interrupted by unexpected/inevitable issues, or will those $$$ you spent merely 'look good' to the buzzards circling the bleached and inert Jeep carcass lost out there in the wilderness.

Drive your Jeep a bit and strive to learn what it lacks to make your adventures satisfying.

Any list of '10 essentials' you may see printed are often subjective speculation. Any list I've seen usually contains 7 things I don't need or want, and 2 things I've never really thought much about.

The beauty of Jeep is nearly anything you have ever thought of as being needed somehow, is right there in the catalogs, waiting for your order. In addition, there are many trinkets you didn't realize you desperately needed to order.

'To Jeep' or 'Jeeping' is a process, not a static destination. 'Jeep' is not a car, learn the difference early to increase your enjoyment of the unique experience it offers.

Find a local Jeeping group that can assist as needed. Read Jeep stuff. There's tons of youtube videos that can help any issue.

Critical choice one: Buy Your Jeep.
Critical task one: Drive it until you know what your next Jeep need really is.
Wave back.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I didn't do much to mine in the first year or so, done a lot of research on what I wanted, but like what was mentioned above it all depends on what your using it for, myself it was never any extreme off roading so lift wasn't a priority for me as much as a good set of rails, and new bumper, wheels and tires, you will get a lot of great advice from the people on this forum.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Thanks.
How you use your Jeep will dictate how you mod it. A person that wants a rock crawler is different than a person who wants a mall crawler and is different than a person who wants to overland. Can you tell us what you plan on using your Jeep for?

By defining how you intend to use your Jeep we can offer suggestions and experiences.

Well I really won't be doing any off reading persay. There will be the occasional time when I'm hunting. Mostly will be joy riding with the wife. I haven't really seen to many Interior modifications that catch my eye. The sound system is the top you can buy stock so I am pretty happy. I have navigation and touch screen with it. I do want a lift I'm thinking no more then 4". Now does adding a lift void warranty?

·
Super Moderator
15,376 Posts
Well I really won't be doing any off reading persay. There will be the occasional time when I'm hunting. Mostly will be joy riding with the wife. I haven't really seen to many Interior modifications that catch my eye. The sound system is the top you can buy stock so I am pretty happy. I have navigation and touch screen with it. I do want a lift I'm thinking no more then 4". Now does adding a lift void warranty?
As far as warranty; when you replace the factory spring with an aftermarket one, the factory warranty no longer covers that spring. Any other issue they would have to prove it was the lift that caused the issue. A lot of this depends on the dealer and if they're "mod friendly".

4" is a lot of lift in the JK world, at that height it starts to affect steering and suspension geometry to the point you'll have to spend a lot of $ to make it drive good. IMO 2.5"-3" is the sweet spot to fit a larger tire on the JK.

2.5" will fit a 35, do great on-road and you can have some fun off road. To show an example, here's my wife's Jeep with a 2.5" lift (the WF most popular) and a 315/70/17 tire (35"). The ride is fantastic and she has fun with it off road too. (pics below)

What we see all too often is people building their Jeep so big that it's no longer fun to drive. Personally I like my big, jacked up Jeep, but my wife doesn't enjoy driving it like she does hers.

So as far as cost; she spent about 1k on the lift, 1.2k on tires. So the basic look was a little over 2k. Of course then she wanted a different top, seat covers, different bumper, etc, etc, etc..... :)

Hope that helps. Good luck on yours!! :thumb:

·
Super Moderator
8,178 Posts

This a million times. Build your Jeep for what you need it to DO. If you plan on sticking to pavement or mild trails, there is absolutely nothing you have to do other than fill the gas tank.

·
One Happy Camper
246 Posts
IMHO CB radio is a good one to pick up right away, it's well suited for variety of scenarios, and certain Jeep clubs/events require it.

I also went for seat covers right away, which is good because they were soon after filled with dogs, sand, and saltwater :happyyes:

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Once you do some research you will learn that there are 2 different lift heights. The advertised height and the actual height. Most lift advertised heights are provided under the assumption you will adding weight like steal bumpers, skid plates, winches, rock rails, etc. Where a 4in advertised lift with give you closer to 5.5in of actual lift without those items.

If budget is a concern, you want to stay below 3.5in of actual lift. Going above that, you're now exponentially increasing the costs due to needing additional replacement components with minimal return on investment other than if you prefer the higher "look."

·
Registered
8,910 Posts

Great advice.

We overland. Camp. Travel far.

2.5" lift, winch/bumper, 33" tires on aftermarket wheels, rear seat delete with custom shelves and dog perch, 2M hard-mount ham radio, cb radio, quality LED headlights and foglights, offroad lights, 7-pin trailer wiring with brake controller, offroad teardrop trailer, seat covers, floor mats, gas cover, recovery gear kit (tree saver, snatch block, bow shackles, kinetic recovery strap), saws/axes, jack base, heavy jumper cables

Price? That depends on quality. Figure out what your needs are first and then we can discuss price.
Everybody has a priority matrix. People will spend more money on what's important to them ----- for me, it's safety items, gear that gets me there and home again. Other people value their sound system and shiny wheels more.
Different strokes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My first mod was adding step rails because my wife complained about hitting her shins on the metal. Next came the following...

Snyper metal fender flares
Front bumper
Rear bumper with tire carrier
35x12.5r20 toyo mt
20x12 -44 rockstar II
Mopar 4" lift with fox shocks
Magnaflow black axle back exhaust
Mopar headliners
Full cage safari straps
CV Vpas10 hideaway sub
KIS LED soundbar
430 radio
Kicker 6.5 upgrades
Steering wheel wrap
Superchips programmer

I think that's it so far. It's a 2017 JKU Sport. Had it for almost 4 months.

·
Registered
344 Posts
First thing I did:

1) small cargo improvements - Tailgate storage, etc
2) Headlights, taillights, fogs all went to JW LED's. You just can't see in bad weather or on the trail and night without good lights
3) Winch/bumper. Can't go exploring alone without a winch to save you. 35" tires aren't going to save you.
4) Hoist, top/door management

Next upgrades are:

1) Lift and tires
2) onboard air
3) additional under armor

Here's the order I wanted to do until my brain kicked in:

1) Tires, Lift immediately, cheapest way possible, geometry be damned
2) replacement speakers, tweeters, woofer, amp, top of the line sound improvements
3) winch/onboard air
4) armor
5) lights

1 - 20 of 28 Posts