Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So never having owned or even considered a Wrangler I am now the proud owner of a 2009 JKU Sahara. I’ve learned a lot on these forums. My brother owned it since new and it’s mint as far as 11 year old truck can be. The only advice I’m seeking is this...it’s fully stock mechanically, no lifts or things like that. My plan is to keep it that way for now. It’s had all the needed major maintenance except shocks and ball joints. Curious the best solution for this for someone not equipped, tools or time , to do the work. Just hit my local mechanic? It’s automatic, 3:73 rear end, hard top. I plan on using it for camping and adventures but not anything serious beyond that. Thanks and great forum.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Welcome to the forum :thumb:

I'd investigate if you have a local Jeep/4x4 shop that would be a good source for aftermarket ball joints and shocks that could do the install. Likely cheaper and longer lasting than dealer parts & service, though if you won't be lifting or using larger tires, the replacement OEM ball joints may suffice. If you do plan on lifting and installing different offset wheels and larger tires in the future, an upgraded set of ball joints may be a worthwhile investment.

Post up an idea of where you are located, and maybe a forum member can vouch for a good shop near you.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Welcome! If you aren't confident in your tool collection or wrenching ability, I'd vote a shop is probably your best bet. If you aren't going with a lift, any good shop equipped to do suspension and an alignment would work.

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Shocks are super simple on a JK. Get your hands dirty. Ball joints on the other hand...not so simple, but do-able if you're somewhat mechanically inclined. For the latter, I'd take it to a reputable 4x4 shop as mentioned.

P.S. Take that thing off-road!

·
Registered
725 Posts
Welcome to the forum :thumb:

I'd investigate if you have a local Jeep/4x4 shop that would be a good source for aftermarket ball joints and shocks that could do the install. Likely cheaper and longer lasting than dealer parts & service, though if you won't be lifting or using larger tires, the replacement OEM ball joints may suffice. If you do plan on lifting and installing different offset wheels and larger tires in the future, an upgraded set of ball joints may be a worthwhile investment.

Post up an idea of where you are located, and maybe a forum member can vouch for a good shop near you.
I agree on a local Jeep shop, best way to go. When I bought mine last month, dealer put new ball joints in, required to pass safety - they put the greaseless OEM ones in. Next time I will put in an aftermarket set.

Welcome aboard OP.

·
Premium Member
7,084 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I loved my 2015 Sahara and would still have it except the siren song of the 2017 Chief that had just arrived at my dealers called to me. I was in have the oil changed on my TJ (easier and cheaper to let them do it with a coupon). I saw the Chief when I walked outside and that was that. The 2017 Chief is a special package on the Sahara, with a white painted top, white side stripes, silver Recon wheels and interior goodies. But basically a Sahara, and I love it.

I just recently had the brakes (including calipers), ball joints, unit bearings and axle u-joints replaced on my 2003 TJ at 129,000 miles. I knew the brakes needed replacing and with the mileage I had a trusty shop just do the whole thing. I had many of the parts as a friend and I were going to do the brakes. But then a caliper seized a half block from the shop that I trusted. I guess the Jeep made the decision. The shop was good with me providing many of the parts. Since he is noted for his differential work and they would have to be serviced in a short bit, I let them do that while it was there.

While local Jeepers may not agree on the best shop to do the work, they will let you know who not to go to.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts