Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been browsing ebay and such and I keep seeing rollbars referenced to as "Family Style" for YJs. What's that referring to? Just curious.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
Family roll bar came out in 92(I believe?) and the earlier years were shaped different towards the back. The Jeep Jamboree USA run I went on last August didn't allow the older style for protection reasons I'm assuming. The blue jeep is the family style. This red jeep is the older style. IMG_0698.JPG IMG_0697.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: DREDnot

·
Super Moderator
12,670 Posts
CJs and 1987 through 1990 have diagonal angled reinforcements to the roll bar (referred to by Jeep not as a "roll" bar but a "sport bar".

1991 and newer YJs and TJs have what we Jeepers call the "family" roll bar (sport bar).
The reinforcing bar goes more or less straight up from the rear of the wheelhouse and makes a 90* (sort of) bend and then continues parallel to the roof line.

In sport bar model YJs the rear seat has lap seat belts only. In family style sport bars, there is an accommodation for shoulder belts.

Attached is a pic of the early "sport" bar with a hi-lift jack attached. It can easily be seen through the hard top side window.
A "family" bar isn't as easily seen through the hard top side window.

Good Luck, L.M.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
Sport style and family style. Sport style is what steves92 refers to as the older style. I think he's right saying the year is 92... Those pictures show the gist of it.

The family style bar can fit a frameless soft top while the sport cannot. That's about the only difference I can think of, other than the seatbelts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Steves and Luckymac. Make sense now that it's explained to me. Family = better protection for my family....so they say. I'm glad "they" are protecting us from ourselves.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Fun fact: no one makes dusters in spice for the sports bar setup. In case that's interesting to anyone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
We always called the 92+ stlyle, with the 3 point seat belts in back " family style" and old stlye the " kid crusher"
That's either gruesome or convenient, depending on your point of view and mood...

·
Registered
5,107 Posts
We always called the 92+ stlyle, with the 3 point seat belts in back " family style" and old stlye the " kid crusher"

heh heh, When i was a kid my dad had a 77 CJ7 and he bought a back seat from 4wd Hardware so me and my sister could ride in the back. He was thinking about mounting it facing reward so the bar would be above our heads and protect us in a roll over. He ended up mounting it the correct way though and we never died despite not having roll over protection or seat belts LOL.

I would like to have the sport bar since they look better and i took the back seat out of mine anyways.

Reactions: maxtor

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
We had 2 CJs when I was kid...they were our only vechilces...rode with kid crushes all my life and still here...I look at about the same as air bags and abs...you can live without them....Guess me and my kid crushes will never be doing a Jeep Jamboree

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Rear shoulder belts became mandatory in 1990 for passenger cars.
That was extended to all, (convertibles etc...) in 1992.
Chrysler didn't care about your kids heads, they just needed someplace to attach the rear harness.

Remember the Subaru Brat with the plastic seats in the back?
Your heads WERE the roll bar. :)

·
Registered
890 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts