Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey friends. I got tired of my jeep looking so bare without a bumper so I started gathering material.

The bumper is 8x3 1/4 wall tube. Top bar is 1-5/8 pipe 1/8 wall and stinger is 2" schedule 40 steel pipe. I still need to put two braces in from stinger to cross bar. But this is what I have so far.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Bottom brackets are 1/4" 2.5x3 angle and will be gusseted at the top when bumper is removed for pain and drilling. Will be 10 bolts total holding this on,

The light makes it look crooked

·
Registered
7,150 Posts
What kind of welder are you using?
And could you post a pic of your welder setup?
Thanks!! :thumb:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's just a Hobart handler 140 set on 4 Power and like 30 wire speed. Using cheapo eBay gasless flux core wire

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Finally got some time yesterday to so a little more tube work. Added two braces in. Still need to drill all the mounting holes and weld on light mounts then paint it. But now it looks like a bumper!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Awesome ... This thing gets better and better
Can't wait to see the pics when you harpoon something ( like a FJ )
Any plans for running the tubes back over the fenders or built into tube fenders ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks! An hopefully I never stab anything!!

Those bends where done at local exhaust shop. Last minute effort since my affordable tube bender is broken. I fitted the pipes with a hand grinder and circular sander. Helps to have a lot of experience building fancy hand rails and roll cages/tube chassis.

I'm limited on time but should have it done this weekend!!!!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I'm just getting into the metal side of building, been working with wood forever. I picked up a 16 ton bender at harbor freight but I guess most of the tubes I've been practicing on are to thin ? Just crinkles instead of bending. so it is possible to fit pipes together without having a giant drill or press to notch out the ends

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Haha. I have had numerous people mention that. Fab work is at a halt as of now. Shop was vandalized and welder, plasma, and other tools stolen!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts