Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a new manual transmission installed under warranty. My question is if I should request a higher quality fluid be used. If so, recommendations? I don't mind paying extra if the benefits are there. This is my chance of going forward without the wondering of what the PO did to the tranny.... a fresh start and I want to do it right.

Your feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.!

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Penzoil synchromesh. I bet if you bring it to them, they'll most likely use it for you. Otherwise they probably won't. It's not too expensive either

·
Registered
137 Posts
Use whatever is specified by Chrysler. The Pennzoil product might be what is used by the dealer. Internet forum armchair engineers are not the place to ask such questions. Not too many of them are transmission engineers and even less work for Chrysler. Assuming the transmission had synchronizer problems, most synchro problems are caused by the driver (speed shifting without releasing the clutch, severe down shifts, etc).

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Penzoil synchromesh. I bet if you bring it to them, they'll most likely use it for you. Otherwise they probably won't. It's not too expensive either
Thanks for the response. Is there a noticeable difference in the shifting or is it simply the knowledge that a higher quality of fluid should result in a longer life of the gears?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use whatever is specified by Chrysler. The Pennzoil product might be what is used by the dealer. Internet forum armchair engineers are not the place to ask such questions. Not too many of them are transmission engineers and even less work for Chrysler. Assuming the transmission had synchronizer problems, most synchro problems are caused by the driver (speed shifting without releasing the clutch, severe down shifts, etc).
I just figured that they would just use the fluid that meets the requirements. I was looking to see if there were fluids that exceed the minimum requirements that may even offer noticeable benefits.

·
Registered
8,968 Posts
Amsoil synthetic manual synchromesh is an excellent fluid to use and is one of the best along with some others. You'll have to provide it to the dealer. 2 qts. will be enough.

·
Super Moderator
7,663 Posts
New transmission installed under warranty, let them use their own fluids, after all they are the people guaranteeing the job. I wouldn't want to give them an out if something goes wrong with this unit.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Thanks for the response. Is there a noticeable difference in the shifting or is it simply the knowledge that a higher quality of fluid should result in a longer life of the gears?
The biggest difference is the old to new oil on regular maintenance. It's same with motor oil, all oils are such high quality today as opposed to 20 years ago that its tough to notice the difference. The most important thing is keeping up with the fluid changes

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, guys. I won't bother asking them to use a different product than they're already going to use if there isn't a recommendation for one that is significantly better.

I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts