Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after 4 years of dealing with pooling water, leaks, bad door seals and extremely scratched windows, I bought a Trektop NX.

This is kind of a overview off it out of the box and going on. As a precursor I'll tell you I am coming from a Rampage top, very non factory and a pain to take off and on. I am doing this in sub 20 degree weather in a somewhat insulated garage with a 250,000 btu heater (this big daddie will have you working in a teeshirt in subzero weather) The top arrived at 1pm today and i let it warm up in the house until about 7pm.

Right out of the box it looks great, I am so used to nasty windows, these things look like glass. read the directions and seemed pretty straight forward, even watched a youtube video or two.

Some notes from my install:

1. Door surrounds are nice, i had an issue with shrunken rollbar pads getting in the way but not a biggie.

2. My last top had a rail channel like on the side of the tub for the top along the windshield, it stayed put when the top came off. This no drill header is nice but took a lot to get it lock in place, probably because of the factory weatherstripping, should relax in.

3. Like everyone says it is tight, almost seeming impossible to get sections to line up, but i learned from my last top was to work a zipper a couple inches, goto the other side and get a few inches. wait a couple mins and get a bit more, it stretches it out this way. Work some of the rail channels, swap sides etc.

4. I am strap challenged I guess, took a few times of weaving the buckles on the rear to get them hold like they should...It was most likely me, even though I had it like the pictures in the directions the first time, but I got them to hold. I'll complain a bit and say Bestop could have these looped for you, but thats me just being a baby.

5. I've never had a sunrider option (flip open front) and really likes the idea, but I now know its not something you can do on the fly since you have to unhook the top from the door surrounds, so no stop light flip opens.

6. The side and the rear window overlap each other and hook to the tub rail, right about the taillights, took a bit to get it all to be where it needed to be so they didn't overlap too mush and interfere with each other.

7. Last "huh" item is there are four tabs to hook your fingers into to help pull the belt rail on around the rear, although nice, they stay on the outside of the top when on, just kinda flapping there.

All in all I'd give this top a 9+ on fit and finish, very tight and clean. And a 9 on install, but my last top would have gotten a 2, so I might just be overly impressed, but 2 hours, start to finish with breaks for dinner and to let the heat in the garage work its magic.

Just thought I would write some observations since it was fresh in my mind!

Attachments

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice. Glad to hear from someone who has had both tops. I have been back and forth between the rampage and the pavement ends top whick is supposedly the same as the nx without the hardware. Looks like i will be going with the pavement ends.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Very nice. I'm thinking of getting one soon. Did you go with the standard fabric or the twill?
I did black diamond, vs the twill. The twill looks amazing I think, but i couldn't justify the cost, and didn't know how mud would do on it. I went from a khaki top so thought I had heard black diamond was the blackest of the non twill tops

·
Registered
8,239 Posts
I did black diamond, vs the twill. The twill looks amazing I think, but i couldn't justify the cost, and didn't know how mud would do on it. I went from a khaki top so thought I had heard black diamond was the blackest of the non twill tops
Either way, the sailcloth should be a huge upgrade from what you had. Sailcloth is sooooooo much better than vinyl. I'm torn between the two. Like you, I'm worried about getting mud out of that twill top. Can't find anyone that has it and can tell me how it is though.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice. Glad to hear from someone who has had both tops. I have been back and forth between the rampage and the pavement ends top whick is supposedly the same as the nx without the hardware. Looks like i will be going with the pavement ends.
I wont bad mouth rampage, at least not a lot. It was an weird design, almost proprietary to them in the hardware aspect. It held up for 4 years, but was a disappointment from the get go, when I saw other tops and how they functioned.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Looks good, my 5 year old Rampage top has seen better days and it's either this or the Pavement Ends version I'll be replacing it with.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Either way, the sailcloth should be a huge upgrade from what you had. Sailcloth is sooooooo much better than vinyl. I'm torn between the two. Like you, I'm worried about getting mud out of that twill top. Can't find anyone that has it and can tell me how it is though.
My last top I found out was like a 17oz fabric, really noisy and very...well, vinylish, this one is so much nicer

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Because of the rampage and their crazy door surrounds and hardware I had to do the complete NX so I could get all the parts needed. I am already looking forward to years down the road being able to do the replace a top option vs. a complete hardware swap. But when i bought the jeep in '11 I had a hardtop only and didnt know any better on what parts were needed and i went cheap on the rampage

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Because of the rampage and their crazy door surrounds and hardware I had to do the complete NX so I could get all the parts needed. I am already looking forward to years down the road being able to do the replace a top option vs. a complete hardware swap. But when i bought the jeep in '11 I had a hardtop only and didnt know any better on what parts were needed and i went cheap on the rampage
The Rampage frameless top uses the factory door surrounds same as the Trektop. :confused:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Anyone have any advice or know if I'm going to have any trouble?

I just ordered and have yet to receive what I thought was the Trektop NX for my 97 TJ at a steal of a price at $500 but come to find out it was just the replace-a-top. So I'm assuming it will be hardware-less. I'm switching from the Bestop Supertop which I believe used all the standard OEM hardware (door surrounds, windshield channel, gate bar, etc.)

Any advice on what I should do would help, I'm sure I could rig it to work but I don't want to risk having leakage or end up being out $500. I suppose I can return it. There isn't a hardware kit they sell separately, is there?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Rampage frameless top uses the factory door surrounds same as the Trektop. :confused:
Sorry, I should have been more clear, my rampage top was a framed soft top, not their version of a frameless.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

I just ordered and have yet to receive what I thought was the Trektop NX for my 97 TJ at a steal of a price at $500 but come to find out it was just the replace-a-top. So I'm assuming it will be hardware-less. I'm switching from the Bestop Supertop which I believe used all the standard OEM hardware (door surrounds, windshield channel, gate bar, etc.)

Any advice on what I should do would help, I'm sure I could rig it to work but I don't want to risk having leakage or end up being out $500. I suppose I can return it. There isn't a hardware kit they sell separately, is there?

Thanks
You will be missing a lot. The main thing will be the header across the windshield. You physically drill your soft top material to the header.

If you have door surrounds you can get by, you just won't have the top arch bow that helps with sags.

The other main things will be a rear arch support (possibly able to buy from bestop seperate) and the rear window bar. The clips on the frame are the same for the rear window.

If you can buy those two bars and have a header and door surrounds, you might be OK.

But I bought mine for 659.00 with a 50.00 rebate, so only 109.00 more, all depends on what bestop gets for those bars, might be better to return and rebuy so you have full functionality, because piecing it together like this also looses the sunrider option.

Or maybe Bestop sees this a lot ( I know I was a bit confused when I saw it until i realized it was a replace-a-top) and they can get you the kit.

·
Registered
6,886 Posts

Thanks
The Supertop NX (which only came out a few years ago) used OEM style hardware and a Replace A Top will work with it. The Original Supertop used Bestop unique frame and Replace A Top will not work.

·
Registered
368 Posts
After 1 year absolutely love my Trek top NX. It will be a bit of a pain to zip stuff in and out for a while until it has time to stretch. Best investment I made on this top was some zipper pulls. Makes life much better opening the back window and for removing the sides. Enjoy.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Just purchased and installed the trektop nx last week, it looks great and fits well. It was kind of a pain to do the initial install, they are not kidding when they say to install at temperatures above 72 I live in AZ and it was about 75 when I installed and it was tight but now that the top has relaxed a little it is pretty easy to remove and replace the windows. I love the sun rider top pretty cool to cruise around with it open. I also opted for the black diamond and it looks good with my yellow paint. Now for some half doors and it will be complete ( I like doors off but my wife is a little scared ).

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
I got a NIB Trektop NX replace-a-top for $100 on CL. I got all the hardware for it from Bestop for just under $300. So $400 total for a new trecktop nx was a great deal. I will be installing it this spring when I take my hard top off.

·
Registered
369 Posts
After 1 year absolutely love my Trek top NX. It will be a bit of a pain to zip stuff in and out for a while until it has time to stretch. Best investment I made on this top was some zipper pulls. Makes life much better opening the back window and for removing the sides. Enjoy.
I have had mine for a little over a year and it is still a pain in the ass to take off and put back on. I kind of miss the factory top b/c I could just take out the back window if I felt like having some airflow.

I do like the look and style but it sucks getting it on and off.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
I hated mine and it's now a pile in my shed. I went back to a factory type top.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts