Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Truck Lite has Redesigned their LED Headlights, once again.

The Current Model out now (Phase 6) is still a good Step above the Phase 5's that people were Complaining about.

But...with the New Phase 7 Due any Day now, they are going to Blow the Phase 6's outta the Water, maybe even the JW Speaker Lights.

The Phase 7's will only use 2 LED's, they put out the Maximum amount of Light allowed by the DOT, and most Importantly, Truck Lite Listened to the Customer, and made Changes to the Beam. Most Importantly giving the Lights ALOT more Width.

The Estimated Release is this Month, Jan '12, no Confirmed Date, just this Month.

So keep an Eye out for them!

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got my Tracking Number so they do have them and they are Shipping! :)

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll Post Pics when I get them.

I also have a Light Meter that I'll use to Compare the Brightness of the OE Lamps, Hella E-Codes with OE HID's, and these LED Lamps.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
I'll Post Pics when I get them.

I also have a Light Meter that I'll use to Compare the Brightness of the OE Lamps, Hella E-Codes with OE HID's, and these LED Lamps.
awesome!!! thank you!!

·
Full Size Jeep Dr.
3,432 Posts
Just saw them in my new 4WD catalog.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here they are. I'm VERY Impressed with them. They def. got some Weight to them. They Stick Out in the Lamp Bezel more than an E-Code does, so if you don't have Long Torx Drivers, getting the Screws In & Out could be Tricky.

On to the Pics:

Delta Quads with OE HID's Glare:

Hella E-Codes with OE HID's Glare:

Truck Lite Glare:

LED on Left / Hella HID on Right:

Same as Above, just not as Over-Exposed:

Truck Lite Blacked-Out Look when Off:

Hella when Off:

Truck Lite on Left / Hella on Right. Look at the Bottom of the Beam at how much more Foreground Light the LED has than the Hella.

·
Registered
3,547 Posts
you siad you had a light meter. Whats the readings on them

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here's some Farther Away Shots:

Low Beams:

High Beams:

Lows & PIAA LED Fogs:

Everything - Full LED. No Halogen / No HID :) :

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you siad you had a light meter. Whats the readings on them
8100 LUX @ 6ft, in the Hot Spot, for these LED's.

I'll try to get some of the HID's in the Hella Housings and OE Halogens Later Tonight, but the Screw Holes are starting to Strip out from me Changing the Lights so much, so it may not happen, or I'll have to Rig something up. I'll try to get it done though. I won't Move the Jeep from where it is now so the Readings are the Same.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, Official LUX Readings are In:

Stock Headlights: 6300 LUX @ 6ft
Newest Truck Lite LED's - 8100 LUX @ 6ft
Hella ECE's with OE HID's - 24600 LUX @ 6ft

So, needless to say, HID's are still Brighter.

BUT...the LED's use Less Power, Turn On Instantly, Last Longer, have BETTER Lighting in the Foreground than ECE HID's, have a WIDER Beam Spread than ECE HID's.

To do HID's the RIGHT way with Projectors, you'll be OVER the Price for these LED's. To do HID's the BEST way you can with Reflector Housings and the RIGHT way, you'll be Close to, if not even with the Price of these LED's.

So it's a Toss Up and it all comes down to how much you wanna Spend.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
So how are these working... the LED's are shining into the housing and reflecting out? What type of diode are they using?

I sure wish Rigid would come out with some headlights. :(

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So how are these working... the LED's are shining into the housing and reflecting out? What type of diode are they using?

I sure wish Rigid would come out with some headlights. :(
Yep, there is a Solid Bar the Goes Across the Middle of the Lamp. The Low Beam LED Shines Straight Back at the Reflector. The High Beam LED Shines Straight Down at the Reflector.

The LED Looks like a Philips Lumiled Luxeon.

They're getting there. The Biggest Concern is Using an LED that can get VERY Bright, but emit Little to no Heat, so there isn't a Need for a Huge Heat Sink.

·
Drives by Braille
13,642 Posts
The LED Looks like a Philips Lumiled Luxeon.

They're getting there. The Biggest Concern is Using an LED that can get VERY Bright, but emit Little to no Heat, so there isn't a Need for a Huge Heat Sink.
Those are some nice diodes. The problem is they are too small. I'd willingly sacrifice a little more heat for a larger diode for a better light range even if they aren't as bright at the full beam pattern. The heat is easily handled when you put the LED in the right spot. The other factor is the reflector housing. You lose a lot of light intensity by reflecting it multiple times.

I'd say give it another couple of years and LED will be FAR greater than what we are seeing today, even from Audi is pioneering.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Oh def.

Look when HID's first came out and look at them now.

Same thing is gonna happen with LED's.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts