Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I'm new to the forum and new to the Jeep world. I recently bought an '08 Rubicon with 50,000KM on the dial and I have some concerns over the clutch, the problem is I'm not sure if I'm being overly paranoid or if they're legitimate concerns worth getting checked out while it's still under warranty. The reason I think I may be overly paranoid is that I've always had issues with vehicles and currently have another car laying in wait to get its engine rebuilt so I don't know if that's making me hypersensitive, looking for things to go wrong...

Anyways, my first concern is that my clutch is only disengaging when depressed fairly high up but, from what I've read, that's fairly normal. That being said, my clutch feels a little "stiff" in regards to, if I drop it, it lurches like crazy and it seems like there's very little "play" in regards to dropping it, if that makes sense.

My second concern is that I'm hearing a grinding noise when I release the clutch without revving the engine up too high. If I rev the engine up to about 4K or so, there's no grinding, or if I do a very slow start, there's no grinding... the majority of my vehicles have been manual and I've never really experienced this "sensitivity", is this pretty normal for a jeep?

My third concern is there's almost a little resistance when I'm trying to move into gear while driving, like the leaver is almost "grinding" against something as I push it into gear. It takes more "force" to get it into the gear but if I depress the clutch a little while shifting into the gear, it feels a lot more "easy". Again, this is the first manual vehicle I've felt this with and, in my opinion, any resistance when moving into a gear is never a good sign...

Again, I've never owned a jeep before and my other vehicle is an '89 land cruiser so we're talking a whole different kettle of fish. Any suggestions if what I'm feeling is normal? Am I just in a learning stage in regards to the clutch and just need more practice to tune myself into the Jeep's clutch? Or do I have cause for concern? It's hard for me because I've never driven a pristine jeep so I'm half scared the previous owner rode the crap out of the clutch and the rest of me is telling myself I'm crazy...

I'm really hoping someone will say, "don't worry about it! enjoy your Jeep!"...

Any insight would be more than appreciated!
Thanks!

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
"Depress the clutch a little" while shifting into gear makes it easier? Are you not depressing it completely. "Dropping" the clutch? While it seems like there might be some issues that you should have checked out, your descriptions make it pretty tough for "internet" help.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Your first concern is fairly normal. My clutch behaves the same way since I drove her off the lot brand new.

Sometimes I experience a little resistance while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear but no grinding noises.

However, your other concerns do sound like a worn clutch to me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Depress the clutch a little" while shifting into gear makes it easier? Are you not depressing it completely. "Dropping" the clutch? While it seems like there might be some issues that you should have checked out, your descriptions make it pretty tough for "internet" help.

Sorry, thanks for showing me what I should clarify.

I didn't mean depress, I meant release (end of my work day, a little groggy). For example, if I have my foot to the floor on the clutch, there's a little resistance when moving into a gear... it's hard to explain but it's almost like I'm feeling the gear on the shifter. If I release the clutch back off the floor, closer to the catching point, I don't feel it as much. Does that make any more sense?

Is the catching point for the clutch commonly higher up? I tested to confirm the catch point by releasing the clutch slowly and I'm getting movement at about 3/4 of the way up.

The second point, I mean if I completely release the clutch suddenly, I get a massive lurch even if applying gas evenly. When I slip the clutch, release with slowly while increasing the revs, it doesn't lurch as much... but, as mentioned, unless I get my revs up around 4k, I hear a grinding noise.

The main problem is that I've never driven a jeep before so for me, I'm not sure if what I'm experiencing is something normal that I, the driver, have to work around, or if I should assume that I'm alright and the Jeep needs to change... again, if that makes any sense. Insight into others experience into any "quirks" or "nuances" when first starting with a jeep would likely help more than anything.

Thanks for the response!

·
The Bad Guy
23,245 Posts
The JK clutch typically releases high. The amount of lurching when letting go of the clutch quickly depends on several factors such as which gear and what rpm's you are at.

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
The trick is slow but firm.

My clutch is noisy but seems to perform well. I bought my jeep used and had concerns at first.
Takes a little while to get used to for sure.

My advice, drive it for a little while and see if things get easier.
Like Tom said. It hard to describe things sometimes over the Internet.
Just see how it goes. If you still feel like there might be a problem, bring the jeep in.

Google JK clutch problems and you might bang your head multiple times into a wall :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The trick is slow but firm.

My clutch is noisy but seems to perform well. I bought my jeep used and had concerns at first.
Takes a little while to get used to for sure.

My advice, drive it for a little while and see if things get easier.
Like Tom said. It hard to describe things sometimes over the Internet.
Just see how it goes. If you still feel like there might be a problem, bring the jeep in.

Google JK clutch problems and you might bang your head multiple times into a wall :D
Thanks for the reassurance! I'm going to give it a while and try to adapt, if I'm still having issues when it's ready for its next maintenance, I think I'm going to ask them if they can test drive it and tell me if they feel anything abnormal...

I think that's part of the problem, I googled clutch issues and stuff about 3 clutch changes before the first 50K and scored fly wheels and worn bearings... it's like being in med school and becoming a hypochondriac....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The JK clutch typically releases high. The amount of lurching when letting go of the clutch quickly depends on several factors such as which gear and what rpm's you are at.

Any recommendations in regards to revs and such? Do you typically have your foot all the way down when moving between gears at speed or do you have it released a little?

I don't hear any grinding except from a stand still, do you typically rev fairly high when releasing the clutch from stand still?

·
Super Moderator
53,785 Posts
fr33m3 said:
Any recommendations in regards to revs and such? Do you typically have your foot all the way down when moving between gears at speed or do you have it released a little?

I don't hear any grinding except from a stand still, do you typically rev fairly high when releasing the clutch from stand still?
My opinion. Shifting higher in the rpms doesn't feel right. I don't know if it's the heavy flywheel or whatever but. If you shift early the engine will lug. Got to find the sweet spot. 2100-2800 seems perfect. I
Can shift earlier but don't jam on the gas pedal-gradually build up speed.
Make sense? Probably not :D

·
Registered
498 Posts
It definitely releases very high and in combo with my long legs, pushed me into getting an auto. It was just uncomfortable. Anyway... If I were in your shoes, I would just go test drive a couple others, maybe with low miles just to be sure. If they feel better than yours, then there is probably something wrong. If it's under warranty, go ahead and take it in if you don't think it's right.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts