Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. New to the forum. I’m thinking about buying some aftermarket wheels for my wrangler. Want to stay with 18” that’s currently on it. Originally liked the moto metal 962 but not sure I like the riveted look on outer rim. Suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2017 JKR...
1,900 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
18" tires over the long run are pricier than 17s...

Look through the White Jeep thread or google "white JKU with X size wheels", then click on images and slowly scroll through them.
https://www.wranglerforum.com/f354/show-off-your-white-jk-104929-138.html

All 17s though...
AEV Borah Wheels are neat but pricey - Spent brass with Black rims
Quadratec Wheels are darned good quality - Take a look at the Recon

The faux bolts will probably be my undoing on my Icons, but lust suckered me in.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
As others have said, consider 17's. They do virtually everything better than 18's. More wheel choices, more tire choices, ride better and both are less $$.

Good luck!

Reactions: Old Dogger

·
Retired Moderator
100,641 Posts
:welcome: to the Forum..:wavey:

Agree on the 17s..

·
Registered
274 Posts
I was in a similar boat not too long ago. I was going to stay with Factory Sahara 18's, and buy larger tires. I caught a sale on Quadratec, and got a set of their 41 wheels with tires for only around $350 more all in than I would of paid for just 18" tires. As mentioned above, there are a lot more options available for 17's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds like 17” are definitely the cheaper way out. I was staying with 18” since the tires I have now only have 10,000 miles on them. They were installed at the dealership.thanks again for the input.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hello. New to the forum. I’m thinking about buying some aftermarket wheels for my wrangler. Want to stay with 18” that’s currently on it. Originally liked the moto metal 962 but not sure I like the riveted look on outer rim. Suggestions appreciated.
Whatever you do, make sure to check out:
www.extremecustoms.com
These guys have the best prices, service and follow-up I've ever dealt with.
I got my wheels from these guys and they forgot to send me my spline lug nuts that were included during a special, 6 months later when I put the wheels on they sent me the lug nuts no questions asked even though they weren't shown anywhere on the order, just took my word for it! That's service.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Sounds like 17” are definitely the cheaper way out. I was staying with 18” since the tires I have now only have 10,000 miles on them. They were installed at the dealership.thanks again for the input.
You can get a decent credit for the tires at a good tire shop. My daughter was in the same boat with low mile 18's and they gave her $100 each tire in trade when she moved to 17" 33's.

Reactions: WVJK16

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Having a good relationship with a good tire shop can be a great thing. I used to have that at a tire shop just outside Washington DC (which was near where I lived). Sadly, I don't live near there anymore, and really haven't found a local tire shop that I like. I tried one shop and the guy mounted one out of four directional tires backwards. Everyone makes mistakes, but when I tried to point out the issue he couldn't understand. Not very confidence inspiring, and not where I want to take my new Method beadlocks.

·
Grumpy Old Guy
3,861 Posts
Asking this group what wheels to buy is like asking a bunch of High School boys which girl to date. Everyone has opinions one way or another:

Bottom line 17's are cheaper and there are a shit ton more of them than 18's. 18's only came on most Sahara models. Find a style you like and then compare.

Whats your budget?

Spoked? Solids? D shape? Tons of unnecessary bling? Chrome? Color? Start somewhere like the Northridge4x4 website and look at wheels. Narrow it down and then ask again.

·
Super Moderator
16,383 Posts
Having a good relationship with a good tire shop can be a great thing. I used to have that at a tire shop just outside Washington DC (which was near where I lived). Sadly, I don't live near there anymore, and really haven't found a local tire shop that I like. I tried one shop and the guy mounted one out of four directional tires backwards. Everyone makes mistakes, but when I tried to point out the issue he couldn't understand. Not very confidence inspiring, and not where I want to take my new Method beadlocks.
Yikes... Couldn't understand that a directional tire was backwards? SMDH :atomic:

·
Super Moderator
10,640 Posts
:welcome: to WF

BTW, the wheels on that JK are JL “take offs.” Someone went through the trouble of replacing the original JK Sahara wheels with those.

I got a JL Sahara a few weeks ago. I was originally planning to replace the stock wheels with a set of Quadratec 17” wheels for all the reasons listed above. However, once I got the Jeep I realized how beautifully finished these new JL wheels are. So instead of getting rid of them, I decided to make it work with a set of 33” KO2s.

No regrets.

Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
Yikes... Couldn't understand that a directional tire was backwards? SMDH :atomic:
Yeah, he kept saying I should just mount it on the other side, where it would be running in the right direction. But he mounted three tires that could mount on one side and run in the right direction and only mounted one tires so it could mount on the other side and still be running in the right direction.
He was not over-qualified for changing tires. And I would be afraid to give that guy my Methods to balance.

By the way, if the OP likes the JL wheels, they may be able to find a set of JL take offs for a good price, perhaps even with the stock tires mounted up in good shape.

·
Super Moderator
6,794 Posts
The other side of the coin is if you do replace your wheels you may be able to sell the current wheels to cover at least some of the cost of the new ones.
Or you could have the current wheels powdercoated. If you aren't sure, try one of the spray on / peel off spray paints they now sell.
I liked the all black version of the Rubi wheel that our Back Country came with. Then we upgraded to AEV Savegres, I liked the more massive look and they also reminded me of Lambo wheels from my younger days. Now we have Method 106's in bronze. I liked each wheel for what it was. But I think the current wheels are my favorite so far.
It is so easy to change the look of the Jeep with new wheels and tires.

·
Super Moderator
10,640 Posts
I’m with you.I don’t hate those wheels. They look really nice cleaned up. Just thinking about going all black with mine. Like the look with the white letters on the tire btw.
If you like the Sahara wheels but want them in black, you could:

Have them professionally powder coated. I looked into it for another Jeep I had - it was $90/wheel and one week; you will need a set of temporary wheels to drive on, plus the cost of remounting and balancing the tires.

Buy a set of take off JL Sahara Altitude wheels. They are exactly like yours, but come painted glossy black from the factory —see below​

1 - 20 of 21 Posts