Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after several rock chip repairs, I finally got a crack that was not only in my line of sight, but was a "runner". So, a couple of calls to the insurance company and we have an appointment for replacement. Had the discussion with the glass company and weighed the OEM vs. aftermarket decision. Opted to go aftermarket because of the cost difference. Set the appointment and off I go.

Showed up today for my appointment and the nice lady who runs the place told me, "I know you wanted the OEM glass so that's what we requested and your insurance company approved it!" Pretty cool on her part.

The manager of the branch is a Jeep guy who worked with me when I got my first rock chip repaired 2 years ago. He showed me my first SpiderwebShade and convinced me to buy one. He happened to remember me and while I was waiting for the new glass to be installed he came into the waiting room and handed me this:
[/url]IMG_1084 by okcpuckfan, on Flickr[/IMG]
I now have a very cool coaster for my desk! Jeepers really do take care of their own!

·
Registered
801 Posts
Pretty cool! BTW in most states insurance companies are required to replace OEM parts with OEM parts if you request it.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
That is pretty cool! I need to request that once I eventually replace my windshield.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty cool! BTW in most states insurance companies are required to replace OEM parts with OEM parts if you request it.
I could be wrong, but I don't think glass falls into that category. I did ask about the differences and the manager told me that the OEM and aftermarket come from the same factory and that the only difference was the logos on the glass. He even gave me the link to one of the Ebay auctions that sells the stickers to duplicate the OEM appearance. That is what convinced me to be "OK" with the aftermarket.

I did go through this with my previous truck, a 2011 F-150 Platinum Edition. The glass on the upper end Ford trucks is thicker to provide a quieter cab. Insurance didn't want to spring for the more expensive glass until I provided the documentation that showed it was not the same thing. Obviously "quieter" is not a thing with the JKUR!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts