Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
The Bad Guy
23,119 Posts
An obvious reference to the diesel option. The other possibility is a return to the SE with the 3.2 version of the 3.6.

·
Premium Member
16,872 Posts
Well, car makers do that now Advertising the smallest,lightest 2wd version of their offerings.
I doubt the Wrangler in Full battle mode will be rated at 30 mpg but.... we shall see.

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
"New base model/engine option Wrangler with smallest wheel/tire package and no air conditioning to get 30mpg when driven by remote control"

Also...
"Mr. Marchionne also unveiled the next generation of the popular Jeep Wrangler SUV"

Unveiled, eh? Where are my leaks?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I would bet to get 30 mpg it would be a diesel or possibly a turbo 4. Been talked about for a while making the front a bit more aerodynamic with a more raked nose and windshield. Aerodynamics + more effecient engine and 30 MPG shouldn't be a issue.

They could probably even throw a pair of turbo's on the 3.6L and gain a mpg or two on the present JK, that is IF you stay out of boost!

·
Registered
10,169 Posts
I doubt the Wrangler in Full battle mode will be rated at 30 mpg but.... we shall see.
Factor in too, that the MPG claim is coming from those in attendance at a "pep rally".

"... vehicle would achieve 30 miles per gallon, according to dealers in attendance."

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
I would bet to get 30 mpg it would be a diesel or possibly a turbo 4. Been talked about for a while making the front a bit more aerodynamic with a more raked nose and windshield. Aerodynamics + more effecient engine and 30 MPG shouldn't be a issue.

They could probably even throw a pair of turbo's on the 3.6L and gain a mpg or two on the present JK, that is IF you stay out of boost!
They might as well give it a new name too as long as they're at it.

·
Premium Member
621 Posts
Who knows what monstrosity (or awesomeness) 2017 will bring..... this is why I just bought a 2015.... I'm good for at least 5 years and by then the Jeep will be awesome again or still.

·
Registered
5,701 Posts
An obvious reference to the diesel option. The other possibility is a return to the SE with the 3.2 version of the 3.6.

No doubt it's with the diesel which is not far fetched specially if they add some rake to the windshield. It would take a large weight reduction to achieve it with the Penstastar and any transmission on the planet.

One big difference is the article you refer still talks about an aluminum body which is no longer in the cards.

·
Registered
185 Posts
If the new Wrangler can perform the same, looks moderately the same, and gets 30MPG I'm all in. I drive 2400 miles/month in my JKU and gas stations laugh at me when I pull in every 3 days or so.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
30 mpg????

perhaps my Nigerian Jeep Dealer will have the product shipped to me just as soon as I forward my account #s for his certification process.....

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Another article I read regarding the recent FCA dealer meeting:

FCA Dealer Show*Rumor roundup:*Trackhawk info, New Wrangler, etc

At the end of that article:

"Biggest surprise at the end though was seeing the new 2017 Wrangler. Not a big departure from the JK, but I’d say it shares nothing with the JK."

Granted, this article is a conglomeration of quotes, from dealers that were there, that the author was merely repeating. Not that I really have a dog in this fight as I have a less than one year old 15 Willys JKU, but hopefully, there'll be some leaked photos shortly.

·
Premium Member
2,964 Posts
Another article I read regarding the recent FCA dealer meeting:

FCA Dealer Show*Rumor roundup:*Trackhawk info, New Wrangler, etc

At the end of that article:

"Biggest surprise at the end though was seeing the new 2017 Wrangler. Not a big departure from the JK, but I’d say it shares nothing with the JK."

Granted, this article is a conglomeration of quotes, from dealers that were there, that the author was merely repeating.
I read that same article and I'm surprised that they didn't have more quotes/info about the Wrangler. It's been one of FCA/Chrysler's top sellers for a while now, you would think dealers would be fairly interested in it.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
It's amazing what kind of conclusions people try to draw from such little information. Go look at the fuel economy figures on the current 2.8 diesel. They can get 30 mpg with that engine out of the current JK:

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2.8 CRD Rubicon (for Europe ) specs review

I am not one of those diesel knob-schlobbers because I think people underestimate the importance of horsepower, but there is no doubt that a little diesel can be very, very fuel efficient. There is also the question of diesel prices which have recently dropped quite a bit relative to gas prices, so it's a complicated equation in terms of whether and how much money you will save. But I have no doubt the right diesel engine can get 30 mpg in a Wrangler with solid axles, steel frame and body, removable doors and hardtop. Because they've basically already done it.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts