Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m about to buy an incomplete project to work on with my sons. I’ve looked at the car (parts) and this is what I know:

— 94 YJ with 98 Ford 302 (including Novak conversion kit.
— AX15
— 4.10 Ford 8.8 rear end
— drive train is already roughed in

The only obvious missing parts are the brake booster & lines and exhaust system. I have a lot of questions from how to approach the brake lines & fuel line / pump to hooking up gauges.

Got any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
For starters... You couldn't find one with a good engine? Instead you are stuck with a Ford engine. Just a little bashing... couldn't help myself

It's awesome you are taking on.a project like this with your kids. We are going to need some pics you know.

Ok... brakes. Find yourself a '95 dual diaphragm booster and master cylinder if possible. You could also use a TJ Booster or I have seen guys use cherokee boosters as well. The TJ booster will need the rod modified a little. There is a current thread going on about that. I am not sure on the Cherokee booster if it needs mods.

Aftermarket mechanical gauges will be the simplest solution. Autometer Z-series work good and they aren't too expensive.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks DaddyJeep - yeah Ford motor, I know. But the boy is pretty excited about having a V8 so that's part of it :). First step is going to be getting the motor going. We're going to lock in the drive train and then get the motor going. First time for us so it's a little daunting!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, I wasn’t planning to change that but I’m not sure if that complicated things.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Copy that, thanks!! What are the complications? Fuel lines / pump, etc?

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
fuel lines and pump aren't a big deal at all. I am not sure what PSI that ford motor needs, but you may even be able to keep the Jeep in tank fuel pump. It puts out 49 PSI. I'm actually running an in line pump designed for ford applications, the E2000. The wiring is what scares away most people. Get yourself some good schematics and it isn't too bad.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay, copy that. Well, we’re pretty nervous but we’re not going to be scared away!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The other option is to just swap the 302 for a stock i6 engine. Which would simplify the build considerably. What’s your opinion on that?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That’s all the encouragement I needed. Okay... I’ll post some pics when we get started. We’re diving in!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts