Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a '95 YJ last week, and I have a question about a "ticking" sound I hear. It is the 2.5 4cyl with 5 spd manual. When you start it up it has a "ticking" sound that resembles a lifter or rocker tapping. it does it all the time and when you give it throttle it speeds up with the motor. I have checked the oil and it is full and very clean. Any one have any suggestions on what it might be and what I could do to resolve this problem? It is fairly loud, you can easily hear it inside the Jeep and outside over the exhaust. Thank you for your time and response. Oh and I started it up the other mornign to defrost the windshield and I did not see any exhaust coming from under the Jeep so i dont think I have an exhaust leak. Thanks

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Does it sound like its coming from the top of the motor or the exhaust if it sounds like ticking valves I bet its the Pcv

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honestly its kinda hard to tell, I can hear it in the Jeep with windows up and hardtop on, I can hear it all around from outside of Jeep, I can crawl up under it and hear it, and I can raise the hood and hear it. Im actually having a bit of a time figuring out its exact location. If it is the PCV that you are talking about, is this something that I can replace or something that is a relatively inexpensive to fix? Thanks again for everyones advice.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Its very simple on ur valve cover there should be a hose coming out of it and going back into ur intake? Unplug it for a min see if the clicking goes away

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are the man!!! I bought the Jeep and it didnt make that sound. Next day I cleaned and scrubbed the Jeep inside and out thouroughly cleaned engine compartment and noticed that "plug" was not on the valve cover. I thought to myself well it just slipped off or I knocked it off cleaning, slid it back on and my noise developed. I bet thats it! ill test in a few. Thank you.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I hope that PCV valve is the issue, but if not...

You won't always see any exhaust leaving your vehicle with a small exhaust leak. Many times a small opening in the manifold gasket can cause that kind of ticking sound that mimics a tapping rocker. The best way to check this is with a cold engine and a little soapy water. Spray the soap and water solution over the exhaust manifold with the engine running and check for bubbles.

If that isn't the problem then you may need to adjust your valve lash back to zero. It is actually a simple task to complete.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Tips from the Beas

You may have a loose rocker arm, a stuck or collapsed lifter, or possibly a bad connecting rod. You may also have a flange gasket leak, or possible blown exhaust manifold gasket. Look for soot build-up. Take a piece of garden hose and hold it to your ear and go over the motor to better locate the noise. Jeeps are notorious for making a slight ticking sound, but nothing that you will hear from inside the cab. How many miles are on it and what size motor do you have?:wavey:

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I have been out for the past 10-15 mintues. right in the 90 degree bend of the hose to the pcv valve is split so ill go pick up a new one tomorrow, however when I took it loose it did not stop ticking. I let it idle like that for 3-5 minutes? at the very back of the valve cover it looks as though there might be a very slight bit of oil build up/residue that is a little "fresh" looking.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I'd say if u had a split it could possibly be it? I'm not to sure with out being there to look and hear for my self u might try actually plugging the hosewith a finger y its out

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
when I pulled it off it was very obvious the line and pcv was sucking air. I bent the hose 2-3 times to "close off the split" when I plugged it with my finger the engine would idle down very low but not die. when I let off it would suck air and idle up for a second or two then resume its idle back to normal. it idles around 600 rpm? 2xs Dont tell me that....thats one of the reasons I just bought this 4cyl. Its a daily driver. it has a superlift 4" suspension lift with 33x12.50 swampers and gears. its getting about 18mpg .

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I would say that's the cheapest and easyest to check first then if it don't work start testing other stuff. I'm sure his Jeep would do just as good as any other Jeep in the same class like mine I bet he would go any where I can with my 4.2 v8 waste of time and money

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
CharTay Thank you so much for your advice youve given me. I have been trying to do a little research on the pcv/ccv they call them. They are very cheap and super simple to replace. I am going tomorrow to get a new one. worst case scenario that doesnt fix the problem but I have a new one to fix the broken one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts