So I’m very fortunate to have adopted this beauty that’s going to need some time and luv to get her ready for some fun times out on the trails. She’s a 92 with 2.5l, stock manual trans and stock gearing, 33”tires/wheels and 202,000 miles on the odometer (although probably off due to tires vs stock gearing).
As of right now, these are the known problems that need to be addressed:
1. Reportedly Overheats and this is evident as there’s what looks to be white colored coolant that’s sprayed from the reservoir and back down the underside of the drivers side frame. This tells me that the previous person attempted to use a stop leak solution which didn’t work and it still over heated and blew out the reservoir. Even worst, also tells me they continued driving although it had over heated 😟.
2. When started, one of the 3 rubber fuel lines coming from the fuel tank is leaking gas rapidly. Seems like a simple fix of replacing all 3 lines with good high pressure fuel line.
3. The previous owner stole the hardtop and doors (long story that’s not worth typing out). Going to need to find a good vinyl/cloth replacement.
4. Has these big ol wheels/tires with the 2.5, standard trans and gearing.
The good thing is it starts and runs smooth (only for brief periods because I don’t want to do further damage). I’ve been researching changing it to a v6 or v8, but honestly want to stay with the lil ol 2.5 as we’re only going to use for off-road trails and no highway or high speed stuff. The clutch and trans seems to be fine with no noticeable slipping or grinding.
So my plan is to
1. start with pulling the head and sending it to the machine shop for their magic. Anyone know of a good shop in the Cincinnati area?
2. Obviously replace head gasket. Suggested brand that fits good and better than OEM?
3. Install new water pump and thermostats. Think I’m going to go with Duralast from Autozone as well as water pump lubricant.
4. Replace water pump hoses. Will order on Amazon
5. Replace stock fan for electric setup. Anyone know of a good kit that includes wiring, switches and temp probes?
6. Replace all fluids
7. Replace rubber fuel lines coming from fuel tank. Does the tank have to be removed to replace the 3 hoses?
Thoughts and advice please. This is my first Wrangler but I’ve owned a Grand Wagoner (I actually changed the motor by myself in that), and a Liberty, so tons to learn.