Jeep Wrangler Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
New to Jeep and forum. Just bought an 87 Wrangler and absolutely love it! Looks brand new inside and out. Drives great!

Only thing is I can't get it into 4 low. Previous owner had the tranny dropped at one time and when the shifter was reinstalled it was put in differently. /It is laid on its side pointing to the gas pedal in 2h.

I have gotten it into 4H and Neutral but can't seem to get it past that point. Don't really want to pull any harder than I have. Scared to break it.

Any advice on how to correct the issue? Is it related to the shifter position being 90 degree off or am I just being too gentle (Feel like I am trying hard)? If so, how can this be fixed? Can it be done without pulling carpet?

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You need to be in neutral. I shift to 4lo then roll/ reverse back 5-10ft then going forward you can feel it engage. Check the linkage out too, spray with some PB or wd40.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
From what I hear you saying, it sounds like your tranfer case is indexed wrong, I don't know how but with shifter laying on it's side 90 degs. is not right, may be one from a Cherokee and not for a YJ ! :tomatoes:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts