Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just got a 14 wrangler sport 2 6 speed last week. As stated in the subject title what's the best lift and tires for a daily driver?

·
Registered
202 Posts
I think "best" should be changed to "best for you"

As I feel like I identify with your short description (daily driver, occasional offroad) I will tell you that I've got the teraflex spacer lift and 33" GY Duratracs on 17" wheels. All I did was install spacer lift and replace front stabilizer bars with new rear stabilizer bars. I also have bilstein shocks but that was separate from the lift.
EDIT: I should have said stabilizer bar *links*

Cruising is excellent on the highway, and it has not been stopped by anything I've wanted to do off road. No tire rub, no expensive lift kits. Tires are an investment, but I feel they are worth it.

Important to remember that most folks will tell you the "best" is what they have chosen to install (if they like the products) and have not used any other products. If Jeepers who have used multiple lifts and tire brands offer advice, that may be more reliable info.
Again, it is more about what is best for you, not just "best"

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yea that's what I'm after really I want a good ride but if I go offroad I want to be able to make it, nothing to extreme just.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think "best" should be changed to "best for you" As I feel like I identify with your short description (daily driver, occasional offroad) I will tell you that I've got the teraflex spacer lift and 33" GY Duratracs on 17" wheels. All I did was install spacer lift and replace front stabilizer bars with new rear stabilizer bars. I also have bilstein shocks but that was separate from the lift. Cruising is excellent on the highway, and it has not been stopped by anything I've wanted to do off road. No tire rub, no expensive lift kits. Tires are an investment, but I feel they are worth it. Important to remember that most folks will tell you the "best" is what they have chosen to install (if they like the products) and have not used any other products. If Jeepers who have used multiple lifts and tire brands offer advice, that may be more reliable info. Again, it is more about what is best for you, not just "best"
I am debating on either a lift kit or spring spaces. Do you wish you would have gotten the lift kit vs the spaces. I'm wanting to run 33s as well.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I am debating on either a lift kit or spring spaces. Do you wish you would have gotten the lift kit vs the spaces. I'm wanting to run 33s as well.
After all my research, I had it down to buying the 1.5" performance kit from teraflex (springs & links, no spacers) but I ended up receiving the spacers from a fellow member when I bought his used Duratracs, which saved me some money and ended up working out just fine. Important to note that I was going for the best value when searching for a lift... If I had more $$ to spend, I would have gone with a 2.5" spring kit. That being said, I do not regret putting the spacers on - they have been perfectly fine for my needs.

I then replaced the shocks to give my suspension a little upgrade since I didn't go with the spring lift. Shocks definitely helped my highway ride.

So spacers = 2" up front and 1" in back. Gave me plenty of space for the 33s (285/70/17), and since then I have put on steel front and rear bumpers without any critical loss of height. I get the occasional tire bump or rub on the fenders when off road, but that is to be expected from any small lift set up when pushing your Jeep over obstacles.

I'm away from my Jeep for the week for work, but I can give you folks height/space pictures if you'd like on Friday. Just let me know.

·
Registered
10,546 Posts
it will depend on the user and the trails. take it out on stock trim and see what you need.
my first experience was stock and I felt it was so tipsy.
next was with a coil lift/bigger tires...I had more flex, but still too tipsy and felt uncomfortable going through deep ruts even though I know it wouldn't tip over.
so with my new jk, I opted to purchase the rk 2.5 max travel to compensate for that.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Here's another idea. You can squeeze 33" tires with no lift at all, giving you more options for tires that are a bit more aggressive than stock. Trading the stock shocks and springs for Rubicon take off shocks and springs will give you a modest 1-2" lift. You can usually get the shocks and springs for about $200. I took that approach for my daily driver and am quite pleased. In the pic, the outside sections are before the change and the middle section is after the change. It's not a huge lift but enough to eliminate some rubbing when off road.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Here's another idea. You can squeeze 33" tires with no lift at all, giving you more options for tires that are a bit more aggressive than stock. Trading the stock shocks and springs for Rubicon take off shocks and springs will give you a modest 1-2" lift. You can usually get the shocks and springs for about $200. I took that approach for my daily driver and am quite pleased. In the pic, the outside sections are before the change and the middle section is after the change. It's not a huge lift but enough to eliminate some rubbing when off road.

I like!:happyyes:

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
*gouges out eyes*

Ok, first and foremost all noobs should be required to read this:

My thoughts on lifts

It's a great read and super informative.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
For a daily driver RC makes a nice 2.5" budget boost kit for $180.00. It'll give you clearance for bigger tires and you'll get your feet wet on lifts without any huge commitment.

Add wheel spacers and you should be able run up 35's.

Run it and see what works for you and what doesn't.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I would first put a budget together, get that number in mind and see where you can get with it..

I recently did this and then spent twice as much becasue reading stuff on this forum and talking to people about about it gets more and more parts in the parts pile.
I started with 2.5" $180 lift and set of wheels and tires {34"}, then read that the spare tire needs to be held by something stronger than the stock hinge, so I started looking at hangers and then bumpers, and then ended up with a front and rear bumper, a tire carrier, and a winch... then when removing the front bumper people relocate the vac pump so I needed that bracket...

Then I read that them heavy bumpers weigh down the lift kits, so I found a 1.25" body lift {actually got a good deal on that}, then someone told me about adjustable track arms and control arm relocation brackets so I grabbed them, then I read some articles about aftermarket tire/wheels bending the stock C's, so I bought gussets for them...

Then I seen some shift levers I liked, then I seen weathertech floor mats I like, then the spiderweb shade, then a remote starter box for $100, etc etc etc...

It will never end, I have a PILE of parts in my garage, my jeep as of now only has the remote starter installed and the shift knobs lol, soon I will spend a weekend installing the rest..

So if I were to do it again, and new I was going to get this involved anyway, I honestly would have bought a teraflex kit for $2-3K and called it a day...

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I agree with the suggestion of taking your Jeep out a few times wheeling first. Maybe find a local club and take some rides and watch other rigs in action. That may help you decide what you "need" for your type of wheeling.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
If you have the cash to spend, look at the AEV 2.5" systems. They're geared more toward the "overland" type rigs that need to perform on and off-road. If I had to do it again I would probably go that route but keep my JKS sway bar disconnects. We Overland so lots of highway miles between home and the trails and most trails we do could be done in a stock Jeep.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I would first put a budget together, get that number in mind and see where you can get with it.. I recently did this and then spent twice as much becasue reading stuff on this forum and talking to people about about it gets more and more parts in the parts pile. I started with 2.5" $180 lift and set of wheels and tires {34"}, then read that the spare tire needs to be held by something stronger than the stock hinge, so I started looking at hangers and then bumpers, and then ended up with a front and rear bumper, a tire carrier, and a winch... then when removing the front bumper people relocate the vac pump so I needed that bracket... Then I read that them heavy bumpers weigh down the lift kits, so I found a 1.25" body lift {actually got a good deal on that}, then someone told me about adjustable track arms and control arm relocation brackets so I grabbed them, then I read some articles about aftermarket tire/wheels bending the stock C's, so I bought gussets for them... Then I seen some shift levers I liked, then I seen weathertech floor mats I like, then the spiderweb shade, then a remote starter box for $100, etc etc etc... It will never end, I have a PILE of parts in my garage, my jeep as of now only has the remote starter installed and the shift knobs lol, soon I will spend a weekend installing the rest.. So if I were to do it again, and new I was going to get this involved anyway, I honestly would have bought a teraflex kit for $2-3K and called it a day...
I don't understand this post. Would the the $2-3k teraflex kit have eliminated your spare tire carrier, bumpers, winch, c gussets, shift levers, floor mats, shade, remote starter, etc? How do you reason you would have called it a day after the teraflex kit.

Your example actually makes a point for the budget boost. It gets you started to see what you might really need. Only thing is I would have ditched the budget boost for a coil lift before going with a body lift. At that point $180.00 is a drop in the bucket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts