Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my first jeep, 89 Islander with 4.2, a couple of weeks ago. She runs strong but needs a lot of TLC. I am far from being a professional mechanic but i am not completely clueless under the hood either.

First question: she is squeeling bad but the belts look good. Could i just not know what a good belt looks like or can something else cause this?

·
Registered
483 Posts
tie rod ends

·
Premium Member
10,093 Posts
Parts get old, oil contamination, rust on the pulleys, loose belts. Yo9u can try some belt dressing or an old trick use the leftover soap in the soap dish and carefully while it is running lay the soap up against the backside of the belt. But normally at this tage it is usually time for a new belt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice! I bought some new belts and plan on putting them on tomorrow. Are there any visual clues that might tell me if the pulleys are bad? If they need to be replaced I would rather do it tomorrow while i have the belts off.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It turned out that there was a good deal of oil on the belts. I cleaned them up real well, and there is almost no squealing now. I do think that the pulleys will need to be replaced soon, but I think I can wait a little longer. Thanks for the advice everyone!

·
Registered
26 Posts
slipping belt will cause the thing to squeal like a pig. when I replaced my belt it took a couple of tries before I got it just tight enough to quit squealing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Second question: I can't get the top back on!!! Any YJ soft top instructions out there? Is there a special order to put the side windows back together. Once I attach the front and rear I can't get the side windows back on.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I had the same problem I just kept on plugging away and I manage to get them on. I started with the side and then I did the back. It's still going to be tuff though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had the same problem I just kept on plugging away and I manage to get them on. I started with the side and then I did the back. It's still going to be tuff though.
You were right. Just needed some more muscle. Good to go now! Thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts