Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am purchasing a spare to from a used tire place to match the other tires that were on my Jeep when I got it. Size 32x11.50R15. My question is can I get an extension kit for the brake light piece that goes over the tire or do most people just leave it off? Thanks, Bryan

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
You can leave it off unless your state laws require it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
You can get an extension to raise your third brake light. Quadratec has one for about 40.00. I'm sure you could fab one very easily also.

·
Knows a couple things...
49,618 Posts
You can make very easily make and install your own extension for under $5. Simply remove the three (four?) bolts that hold it to the spare tire mount. Go to your local hardware store and buy 1" longer bolts of the same thread size (take one of your bolts in with you to match it up) together with 1" tubular spacers (aluminum, nylon, or plastic) and that's all you need. Place the spacers between the third brake light and spare tire bracket, insert the bolts up through the spacers and tighten them, and you're done.

I'm one that will take the effort to keep a 3rd brake light installed and operational. I figure any extra help I can get in giving drivers behind me more time to react to me stopping or slowing down, which 3rd brake lights obviously do, especially since so many are drunk, drugged, inattentive, etc., is well worth the slight amount of extra effort.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. Great idea Jerry. I was thinking how I could fab something like you just described. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
As mentioned above, I used some pvc sprinkler pipe I had laying around and cut them the length I needed, painted them black and reattached the light using longer bolts from the hardware store. Very simple.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
I went to Lowe's and bought 4 - 3/8" nylon spacers for ~ $2.00 when I went to 31's. My bolts were long enough I didn't have to replace them. Took 10-15 minutes to put them in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts