Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just picked up a 98 TJ and really love this thing. I have a few questions that I'm hoping to get some answers on, starting with:

1. I want to get my mirrors off the door AND looking nice. I was looking at some mirror relocation brackets, but could I use these mirrors in them? Also, they're oxidized pretty good. Any suggestions on how to restore them? I'm mostly thinking about the rubber grommet between the arm and the mirror.

2. The door hinges and whatever you call the bracket above the door hinges are a little weathered. I see people on here painting them black with bedliner and it looks nice. I also see a lot of threads about broken bolts. Should I even attempt to remove these to paint? (Especially as I am wanting to relocate the mirrors). Any tips on how to get these off without problems?

3. Can anyone tell me for certain if the space on the bottom right (where something is missing) is for an ashtray - or if not what it is. Any ideas on what I could do there?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions. I've been reading like mad trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks for looking.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just used black satin rustolium paint on the mirror brackets. Remember painting is all about the prep work, I sanded all the oxidation off and just let the paint hit the rubber grommet. No problem.

That is the space for the ash tray.

Congrats and have fun spending time and money on your new Jeep!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Yes you can use those mirrors. the bracket I have is on the lower out side window hinge.
The driver side will be fine but passanger side is really hard to see with the door on.
also the door can hit them moving them
There are other options too

·
Registered
553 Posts
Hello all,

I just picked up a 98 TJ and really love this thing. I have a few questions that I'm hoping to get some answers on, starting with:

1. I want to get my mirrors off the door AND looking nice. I was looking at some mirror relocation brackets, but could I use these mirrors in them? Also, they're oxidized pretty good. Any suggestions on how to restore them? I'm mostly thinking about the rubber grommet between the arm and the mirror.

2. The door hinges and whatever you call the bracket above the door hinges are a little weathered. I see people on here painting them black with bedliner and it looks nice. I also see a lot of threads about broken bolts. Should I even attempt to remove these to paint? (Especially as I am wanting to relocate the mirrors). Any tips on how to get these off without problems?

3. Can anyone tell me for certain if the space on the bottom right (where something is missing) is for an ashtray - or if not what it is. Any ideas on what I could do there?

Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions. I've been reading like mad trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks for looking.
you sound just like me, i just got my 1998 TJ 4.0L 5spd and im loving it, just waiting for a parts catalog from quadratec to get some stuff for it. I was also wondering mirror relocation options as well. And like what was said, the empty space is for the ashtray, i only know because mine has one.

Enjoy your TJ

·
Registered
292 Posts
I also have a 98, and welcome aboard. A good option for your ashtray is to use it as a switch panel. A l lot of people do that for their fog/driving lights. It looks real good.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have a 98, and welcome aboard. A good option for your ashtray is to use it as a switch panel. A l lot of people do that for their fog/driving lights. It looks real good.
I was thinking of something like that. Any suggestions where to look for a plate to cover the MIA ashtray?

Welcome, and AWESOME color!
Thanks! I love it too. I can see this is going to get expensive lol.

·
Registered
188 Posts
As was mentioned above, the key to refinishing those pieces will be sanding and priming/painting. To get the mirror off the door for use in an aftermarket relocation bracket just requires removing the nut from the underside of the mirror (15mm?) using a socket. You need to be careful--if you plan to relocate the mirror and still use the doors then the doors may contact the mirrors when opening. Removing the hinges and/or mirror mounts may be very difficult depending on the amount of corrosion on the bolts. I had to drill out four bolts when removing my door and windshield hinges; when I had them off, I sanded, primed, and painted the bare metal surfaces under the hinges. I recommend using blue loctite on the hardware when replacing. Alot of guys suggest antisieze which is probably a fine idea. Personally, I would color match the hinges. I would not go with black bedliner--just an opinion.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As was mentioned above, the key to refinishing those pieces will be sanding and priming/painting. To get the mirror off the door for use in an aftermarket relocation bracket just requires removing the nut from the underside of the mirror (15mm?) using a socket. You need to be careful--if you plan to relocate the mirror and still use the doors then the doors may contact the mirrors when opening. Removing the hinges and/or mirror mounts may be very difficult depending on the amount of corrosion on the bolts. I had to drill out four bolts when removing my door and windshield hinges; when I had them off, I sanded, primed, and painted the bare metal surfaces under the hinges. I recommend using blue loctite on the hardware when replacing. Alot of guys suggest antisieze which is probably a fine idea. Personally, I would color match the hinges. I would not go with black bedliner--just an opinion.
To color match the hinges, is there a place you recommend to get the paint to match the factory color?

·
Registered
188 Posts
First thing - open the drivers door and look just inside. There is an informational sticker that lists, amongst other things, your color code--such as PJN. The color code can be used to get the appropriate color for your Jeep. The local auto parts dealer in my town has a paint department which can match anything so yours probably does as well. You can certainly also use spray bombs available at your @ut0z0ne or the like. Sand off corrosion, lightly scuff smooth surfaces to be painted, wipe clean, prime bare metal areas, paint lightly/evenly (3-4 light coats whatever you like), clear coat, carefully reassemble. I would expect your bolts to look mangled when you are finished--but I daily drive in n. MI.

·
Registered
188 Posts
For the record, I think the black looks sweet on yellow. Your color looks great and I would try to keep it that way. What ever finish you are into, you would do yourself a favor by slowing the spread of corrosion. Hope it goes smooth for you. :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First thing - open the drivers door and look just inside. There is an informational sticker that lists, amongst other things, your color code--such as PJN. The color code can be used to get the appropriate color for your Jeep. The local auto parts dealer in my town has a paint department which can match anything so yours probably does as well. You can certainly also use spray bombs available at your @ut0z0ne or the like. Sand off corrosion, lightly scuff smooth surfaces to be painted, wipe clean, prime bare metal areas, paint lightly/evenly (3-4 light coats whatever you like), clear coat, carefully reassemble. I would expect your bolts to look mangled when you are finished--but I daily drive in n. MI.
For the record, I think the black looks sweet on yellow. Your color looks great and I would try to keep it that way. What ever finish you are into, you would do yourself a favor by slowing the spread of corrosion. Hope it goes smooth for you. :D

Good tips - thanks!

·
Registered
225 Posts
I used plastidip for my mirrors and a few other things, looks great.
I have never moved my mirrors but I've read a few times that relocating the mirrors makes it hard to use the passengers mirrors. Like I said, not from experience just what I read. When I run with no doors I have a set of aftermarket mirrors that bolt into where the door pins would go.
Nice looking jeep! Have fun.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I used plastidip for my mirrors and a few other things, looks great.
I have never moved my mirrors but I've read a few times that relocating the mirrors makes it hard to use the passengers mirrors. Like I said, not from experience just what I read. When I run with no doors I have a set of aftermarket mirrors that bolt into where the door pins would go.
Nice looking jeep! Have fun.
Thanks! The only problem is I plan on getting a set of 2 panel soft doors for the spring and need the top hinge bracket free. :(

I was thinking of something like that. Any suggestions where to look for a plate to cover the MIA ashtray?

Here is a link to a guy who made a switch panel for his wsinch in his ashtray, your best bet is going to be somewhere like lowes.

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/my-in-cab-winch-controls-137893.html
Thanks for this. I'll check it out.

·
Hardcore Jeeper
3,320 Posts
Thats What I did!

I made one out of a thin piece of sheet metal. I holds 8 switches in two rows of four.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts