Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys !!!

Im living out in Spain and whilt i have looked for a wrangler for some time ive not been sucessfull. Now i have found one i need to know if there is anything i should be looking for !!!! Its a 4.0 1991 !

·
Administrator
30,781 Posts
Welcome to the Forum

Take it out and put it through the normal paces. Make sure that the 4wd Hi and Low are functioning properly. Get it out on the road and check for DW or Bump Steer (usually appears around 50-60mph) Check body and frame for rust. Surface rust is not really an issue. If you have any questions or concerns, post them in the YJ section of the forum and we will help you out any way we can.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Johninspain said:
Hi Guys !!!

Im living out in Spain and whilt i have looked for a wrangler for some time ive not been sucessfull. Now i have found one i need to know if there is anything i should be looking for !!!! Its a 4.0 1991 !
Such as? What specifically do you mean by looking for? I don't quite understand, bad things or good things?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Check the left front frame by the steering box and track bar, the rear frame shackle mounts, where the roll cage and seat belt mount to the floor and the rear shock mounts attache to the frame.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Is it carbureted or fuel injection? Manual or automatic transmission? Soft top, hard top, full doors, half doors, no doors? Lifted or stock? Big tires or stock? Drive train modifications?

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
91 should be 4.0L fuel injection, as stated check for frame rot. Check to make sure 4wd works, check fluids. Post some pic;s.

·
Registered
67 Posts
You found the right tech model to post in. The model is a yj they were made from 1987 to 2003. The used an array of motors and fuel delivery systems depending on the year. They do have some issues with rust like I previously posted. But I have mainly only heard of frame issues with the 87-96 models with leaf springs more so then the 97-03 models. They one your purchasing looks very nice. I like the seats and it looks very well kept. Is the a cd changer or a radio/scanner and it looks like someone already hooked up a head unit for the stereo.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Looks pretty good, appears a lot of $$ has been invested in it. Is it close enough to try it out??
Like mentioned, check for rust on the frame

·
Registered
402 Posts
You found the right tech model to post in. The model is a yj they were made from 1987 to 2003. The used an array of motors and fuel delivery systems depending on the year. They do have some issues with rust like I previously posted. But I have mainly only heard of frame issues with the 87-96 models with leaf springs more so then the 97-03 models. They one your purchasing looks very nice. I like the seats and it looks very well kept. Is the a cd changer or a radio/scanner and it looks like someone already hooked up a head unit for the stereo.
tj's are 97 models by the way...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What about ownership ? I have no time for doing jobs myself, and there is a real lack of any sort of proper garage round here. I use an english guy that is a Genrall mechanic, i take it they are easy to fix as they are pretty standared ?

Also what about lifting it a little ? Can you point m in the direction ? Might do a little off roading !

1 - 14 of 14 Posts