Jeep Wrangler Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im currently looking for a TJ and I was wondering if any TJ's came with a full time 4x4 transfer case, on top of hi and low lock. I own an older XJ that has full time on it and I like it for highway use.

I need a good 4x4 system to help me out in Upstate Ny where all the snow has covered the roads for 5-6 months.

Any pointers, advice, suggestions etc will be appreciated.

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
ChvyCruzen said:
Im currently looking for a TJ and I was wondering if any TJ's came with a full time 4x4 transfer case, on top of hi and low lock. I own an older XJ that has full time on it and I like it for highway use.

I need a good 4x4 system to help me out in Upstate Ny where all the snow has covered the roads for 5-6 months.

Any pointers, advice, suggestions etc will be appreciated.
Welcome... the XJ and ZJ's have the full time.. the TJ's don't. I also had an Xj with the 242 T-case and loved it for full time case on the road in the rain etc.. snow was nice as well. Thus, not sure what to tell ya, i guess just drive the XJ till it die. Or then again I don't see why you could not run the Tj case in Hi for extended periods,just change the fluid a bit more i would think.. perhaps some one else can give some better info...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How does the part time work in snow? Do the axles bind up if you hit a few dry spots while making a turn?

Could it be possible to put in a full time t-case in a TJ?

·
Administrator
12,622 Posts
ChvyCruzen said:
How does the part time work in snow? Do the axles bind up if you hit a few dry spots while making a turn?

Could it be possible to put in a full time t-case in a TJ?

Should be fine in the snow, I will guess your snow driving is mostly hard packed roads? So I don't don't think it would be that bad. As for turning on a dry section, I think you would be fine as it would be at a slower speed, and if you hit dry sections on the road mixed with coverd.. should not be an issue either. I suppose you could swap in a 242 case, but then you also might need to get new drive shafts etc depending on length differences, and other factors, so it could prove to be costly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts